276 - 277

After Yilia left, Lisa seemed a bit dazed, as if she hadn’t expected Jungkook not only to save Garett but also to hire someone to take care of him. 

Seeing her in a daze, Garett knew what she was thinking. He gently put down the fork in his hand and looked at her with a complex expression. 

“Lisa, over the past three years, Jungkook has done a lot to keep me alive… 

It seems like he’s trying to atone for something in this way I don’t know what he’s atoning for, but I know he loves you very much,” 

Garett said these words, making up for not being honest with Lisa back then. 

He breathed a sigh of relief but couldn’t help but look at her, trying to see if she still loved Jungkook after three years. 

Lisa lowered her eyes, hiding her emotions, and softly asked him, “You’re obviously still alive, so why did the news report that you were dead?” 

Instead of answering his question, she chose to evade, either still in love with Jungkook or having let him go. 

Garett didn’t dare to ask further, afraid that the answer would be unbearable, so he answered her question instead. 

“Someone wanted to get rid of me, so Jungkook put out fake news to protect me…” 

On the night Garett tried to commit suicide, those people saw that he hadn’t succeeded and rushed out impatiently, shooting at him. 

Jungkook swiftly pushed him aside, shielding him from harm while simultaneously confronting their assailants. 

If it weren’t for Jungkook’s men hearing the gunfire and subduing those people in time, Garett would have died in the cemetery long ago. 

After telling Lisa what happened, he said, “Jungkook was seriously injured while saving me… 

Although Garett didn’t want to live, his life was saved by Jungkook… 

And since Lisa appeared in this villa, he guessed that it was also Jungkook who brought her here. 

So, no matter what, he couldn’t hide these things from Lisa. 

Lisa’s heart trembled a little, but she forced herself not to show it: “Garett, who wanted to get rid of you?” 

Seeing that she didn’t mention Jungkook, Garett knew she was avoiding the subject, so he didn’t dare to ask what happened between them and just replied, “It was the Clowers family.” 

Jungkook found out the truth overnight, and it was the Clowers family who wanted to get rid of him. 

When Garett knew that Colter was still loyal to him, he let him go to A City with his ‘ashes‘, pretending Garett was already dead…. 

Now that the Clowers family thought he was dead, he could stay here peacefully, holding on to a belief, waiting for his Lisa. 

Lisa was taken aback for a moment, then furrowed her brows and inquired, “Weren’t the Clowers family kind to you? Why would they want to harm you?” 

Garett smiled at her, “Lisa, sometimes desire can turn people into demons.” 

Lisa wanted to ask for more details, but Garett said, “Lisa, the less you know about these things, the better.” 

She didn’t ask any more questions, just nodded obediently and said, “Let’s eat first.” 

Garett looked at her, and his once–desperate heart suddenly felt a warmth. 

He picked up his fork, put a shrimp in his mouth, and tasted it slowly. 

He hadn’t had an appetite for the past three years. But at this moment, he see

Chapter 278
Garett’s fork just froze mid-air, as he gawked at Lisa with a look that screamed ‘whaaaat?!.
After wrapping up a call with Ethan Ziegler, Lisa spilled the beans:
“Garett, I woke up and heard you kicked the bucket. I was like, no way, and hightailed it back to the homeland to see if it was legit.”
“But Ethan got all antsy, afraid I’d vamoose with my sis’s ticker. He played the ‘marry me or else’ card. So, I said ‘yeah, but I married him as Emilia, not a shred of love between us.”
Garett’s gobsmacked face melted into a sad puppy look, “Lisa, my bad. I lost my marbles and you got roped into this mess.”
Lisa shook her head, calm as a cucumber, like she’d seen the light, “Even if I didn’t say ‘I do’, he’d still have me on a leash ’cause of Emilia’s heart.”
Garett got all frowny. “Lisa, Ethan’s bad news. Hangin’ with him is just askin’ for trouble.”
Lisa’s no dummy, “I know he’s sc***m, so I’m cookin’ up a plan to get him off my back?
Garett looked like a storm cloud at the thought of her begging someone else for help..
If he were still the big cheese of the Clowers Group, he could’ve gone toe-to-toe with Ethan and saved Lisa. But now he’s just a dude in a wheelchair, not only can he not help, but he’s gotta be taken care of.
Then, like a lightbulb moment, Jungkook crossed his mind. The guy’s got clout coming out of his ears. If Jungkook steps up, Lisa’s golden.
He clenched his fists, and after some hemming and hawing, spilled it, “Lisa, Jungkook’s now the big kahuna of the Laurence family, the Stanley family. AND he’s got a slice of the Clowers Group pie. The Zieglers are chump change to him. If he steps in…”
Lisa cut him off, “Garett, are you telling me to hit up Jungkook?”
Garett hesitated and finally mumbled, “He’s the only one who can take on Ethan.”
Lisa’s eyes, clear as day, locked onto his. “Garett, Jungkook and I? We’re history ever since he ditched me. I ain’t crawling back.”
Garett tried to read her, but she was cool as ice.
They were in a staring contest when Yilia’s voice cut through, “Mr. Falsey, Dr. Terrill is here.”
Freshly clocked out, Liana swiftly entered the room with her medical bag, still clad in her lab coat, to attend to Jason Clowers. Although her scheduled visit was two days away, she had an important medical conference overseas the following day.
She flashed Yilia a smile, and walked into the dining room, ready to say hi to Jason when – bam – she spotted Lisa.
She was like a statue, and her med bag hit the floor.
She gaped at Lisa, eyes buggin’.
She tried to say something but was straight-up speechless.
Lisa stood up, breezed over, and gently said, “Dr. Terrill, long time no see.”
Finally, Liana snapped out of it but still couldn’t believe her eyes, “You… Lisa?”
Lisa cracked a smile, nodding. The one and only”
Liana’s jaw dropped, then she grabbed Lisa and gave her the once-over, “I thought you were… How in the…?”
After Lisa gave her the Cliff Notes version of her not being six feet under, she went all mushy, “Dr. Terrill, you were a real gem back then. Big thanks.”
Liana hooked her up with meds, even saved her bacon a few times, and when Lisa was at death’s door, she bent over backward to make it easier.
Lisa would remember this act of dedication forever. If Liana ever needed support, Lisa was ready to provide it.