1.Scout's First Birthday

"Happy birthday, sweet girl!"

Scout squealed, flapping her arms as Alona walked further into her daughter's room. "Mama." She grinned, showing off all four of her little teeth. Scout tried to jump, but wasn't quite at that stage yet, so she fell flat on her bottom on the mattress of her crib.

Alona reached into the crib, pulling her one year old daughter out and placing her on her hip. "Are you ready to eat breakfast?" She asked, walking over to the changing table to get the child ready for the day.

Scout did the hand sign for eat and kicked her legs happily.

Soon the mother and daughter were walking out of the nursery and entering the dining room where Omega sat eating her pancakes and fruit while Hunter scrambled eggs in the kitchen.

"Happy birthday, Scout!" Omega exclaimed, hopping up from her seat to take the toddler from Alona's arms, placing her in the highchair herself. Scout babbled and smiled at Omega, then started banging her hands on the empty tray. "She's hungry, aren't you, Scout?"

"She's a bottomless pit." Hunter chimed, carrying in a larger plateful of scrambled eggs that he sets in the center of the table and then a small colorful bowl that he puts on Scout's tray. He bends down, giving his look-alike daughter a kiss on the cheek.

Scout spat everywhere and grabbed the rim of the bowl, dumping the eggs all over her tray.

"At least it's not on the floor." Alona shrugged, sitting down in the chair between Omega and Scout.

"For now." Hunter smiled, spooning some eggs onto Omega's plate. He always made sure the blonde ate a nice breakfast. She was almost a teenager now, and was hitting what would probably be her last growth spurt. "You ready for school tomorrow, kid?"

Her first day of 7th grade starts tomorrow, and yet again she and Lyana have matching schedules. Alona and Hunter think Shep, the mayor and Lyana's father, has something to do with that. But they weren't going to complain, the girls were best friends.

Omega shrugged a shoulder, poking at her eggs. "I'm more excited for soccer to start. I'm going to tryouts with Lyana after school tomorrow."

"That's great, Omega. We'll all have to come to your games." Alona smiles, ruffling
Omega's longer blonde hair. Then she cut up a pancake into small pieces and placed it on Scout's tray. "Pancakes." She told her.

"Ca-cakes." Scout repeats, picking up a piece and squeezing it in her fist before shoving it in her mouth.

"We can go out later today and work on those soccer skills." Hunter says, knowing Omega was already better than him at the ball game.

Omega perks up, nodding her head. "Sounds great, I can't wait."

The front door opens and Wrecker's voice immediately booms, "Where's the birthday girl!?" Scout instantly squealed when she laid eyes on Wrecker, flapping her arms excitedly. Her entire high chair shook and she knocked some of her eggs onto the floor. "Oh, there she is!" He exclaimed, tickling her with his big fingers.

"Mornin', Wrecker." Alona waved, taking a sip of her cup of freshly squeezed juice.

"It's goodnight for me, I'm about to head off to bed. Jus' wanted to pop in to say happy birthday." Wrecker said, stretching his arms and letting out a grunt.

Hunter had already scarfed down his entire meal. "Ah, right. You and Crosshair were on night shift."

Hunter, Tech, Wrecker, Alona and Crosshair had become the jacks of all trades for the island. They always have one or two people working at a time to answer any calls for help, whether that be some kind of emergency or assistance with a task. They were also watching for the Empire, but they felt safe here on Pabu. They felt hidden.