Chapter 9: The Interview

Mary hesitated upon entering the dining hall. Peter sat at the head of long table. Servants rushed about setting it with the morning meal. He stood up upon seeing her, his face brightening.

"Come in, Mary. Let me see you." He walked over to her and began walking around her inspecting Martha's work. "Yes, that's much better. Not too showy, but much more appropriate for a member of the royal family. Martha chose well. Though I see you kept the veil. You do know that the women of Edenton aren't differentiated by their head pieces, don't you?"

"It just seemed more appropriate to wear the veil," she murmured.

"Whatever makes you feel comfortable. Just know that you won't be judged for not wearing one. Anyway, let's eat."

The two sat down and began their meal.

While they ate, Peter explained what the Council was. It was a group of nine individuals, one to represent each of the nine provinces in the kingdom. The provinces were duchies, counties, or earldoms (which Peter explained were counties too small to have a viscount) that encompassed a unique area of the kingdom.

Each province had specialized exports and a regional identity that differed from the others. This meant the policies their citizens cared about often varied from the other areas – which was why each region had its own representative at court to ensure the needs of every part of the kingdom were discussed. While the representatives were often the largest land holders in their province, it wasn't required; the people of each province could elect any landowner to the position.

The king was a part of the Council and counted as two votes, one vote to represent the capital city, which wasn't part of any province, and one vote to represent the kingdom as a whole.

The Council could vote on matters without the king. And the king could, of course, make decisions without the Council. However, each group could request to be included in the other's decision. The king had merely to sit in on any meeting to be a part of the Council's decisions. The Council, however, had to have a majority vote (excluding the king's votes) to weigh in on the king's decisions. By always having an odd number of votes – eleven votes with the king and nine without him – they ensured a consensus would always be reached.

Peter also described what Mary's meeting with the Council would be like. They would ask her a number of questions about herself and how much she remembered of the kingdom. This would help them determine if she was truly the daughter of King Edward and Queen Evelyn.

"All our sisters have had to go through it," Peter said. "Though I expect you'll have a bit of a harder time with the questions than the others did.

Sylvia's the oldest, so she remembers the most about our childhood. As the youngest, Julie should have had a challenging time, except for the fact that she and Betty lived with our great aunt for the duration of the Occupation. It was much easier for those two to provide proof of their identities than any of the rest of us. But you needn't worry too much: I'm convinced you're my sister and that will pull some weight."

~~~

After breakfast, Peter led the way to a large meeting room. It had a long, oval table in it, with nine men sitting around it. Mary was surprised to see that the Council members were fairly evenly split between older and younger men.

Peter introduced her to them one by one. The young, though renowned, Marquis of Sharsel, Lord Vincent, whom she had met the prior day. Lord Roger Ryland, Earl of Neer, a distinguished looking gentleman in his mid-forties, with graying hair and beard, whom Peter introduced as a close friend of their father's. Another middle-aged man, Lord Reginald Crucible, Count of Khaz. Edenton's only duke – Jasper Reen of Shea, a young man around the Willows' age. Lord Alastair Muddleton, Earl of Kell, an ancient- looking man, who could equally have been sixty or eighty.