Chapter 35: The Cut

Mary turned to look over her shoulder. "Luke!" she exclaimed warmly, as she met his smiling face. She gave him a quick, happy smile in return before facing the other doctor again.

The sight of the blood-sucking creature continuing its relentless approach towards her made her chest constrict. She couldn't let it engorge itself on her blood! Her shoulders collapsed in on themselves slightly, as if she were trying to make herself invisible, and she instinctively nestled further into Luke's chest.

"Put that creature back in its tank, Doctor Barc!" Luke ordered the other man. "Can't you see the princess doesn't want anything to do with it?" He placed his hands protectively on her shoulders in response to her body language.

"That's only because she doesn't know what's good for her!" Fredric retorted condescendingly. "She has a deep cut from some broken glass. She needs to be treated to prevent infection. A leech is the best way."

"Let's see this cut," Luke said.

Mary, still eyeing Fredric and his leech warily, obediently removed the handkerchief and held out her left hand for Luke's inspection. He gently took her injured hand in his. The cut was deep and was still bleeding. Concern momentarily flashed across his face, but he put on a smile for her sake.

"Not to worry, my lady! Let's get the wound cleaned up, then I can put a poultice on it that should draw out any infection without the need for a leech," Luke said confidently.

"Don't be ridiculous!" Fredric retorted. "A sack of herbs and bran isn't going to do squat against a cut like that."

"And bleeding her will?" Luke demanded. "We need to stop the bleeding, man; not make it worse! Come on, my lady, I think yarrow is the better choice for you."

His arm around Mary's back, Luke began guiding her toward the stool again but Fredric, still holding his leech, blocked their path.

"You would trust the princess's health to old wives' tales instead of decades of medical tradition?" Fredric challenged Luke.

"I would trust the princess's health to the lifetime of research conducted by my mentor and myself! Certainly not your overzealous use of a blood sucking creature," Luke retorted. "You needn't traumatize your patients when clay and mushroom powder will suffice."

"I'm the overzealous one?" Fredric retorted haughtily. "Your nonsensical obsession with mushrooms is well known, Master Mere. Why the king ever made someone who puts his faith in pixies the palace physician is beyond me! Princess, don't let this charlatan sway you: mud and toadstools won't protect you. Bloodletting is a well-respected practice."

"Pixies and toadstools?! My research saved the king's soldiers!" Luke began angrily.

"Oh, yes, and how has that been going recently?" Fredric asked haughtily. "I hear the king finally realized what an inexperienced charlatan he hired and sent you off to finish your apprenticeship, while making the sensible choice of putting me in charge in your stead."

"Is that what you think is going on? Ha! You're merely filling in for me while I tend to the king's most important assignments. He's entrusted me with his family's long-term care, not you, because you can't be trusted not to terrorize your patients," Luke replied scathingly. "And, besides, you think any new technique is black magic."

"Gentlemen, if you're quite done!" Mary interrupted sharply. "I'm covered in manure, my cut is still bleeding and likely needs stitches, and I have two servants to discipline. At this rate, I may as well stitch it up myself!" she muttered irritably.

"Doctor Barc, put that hideous"—she shuttered—"creature away. I have every confidence in Luke's mushrooms. And, you, Doctor Mere," she said shaking off Luke's arm, "get your head out of your arse and tend to my hand!"