Prologue

Fire, fire everywhere, blazed against the dark, moonless sky. Screams echoed off the mountains encircling the valley. I watched in terror, unable to move my gaze from the scene below me. Our house, the place I'd spent all my life, was covered by the flames greedily licking their way up the wood. Suddenly, my mother was standing right beside me. She was injured in multiple places, and covered in blood. She had this wild look in her eyes, and it scared me to see her like that. My mother, the ever calm one, was panicked.

"Faye. You have to go, now." My mother said quietly, glancing back down at the chaotic scene below.

I looked down and saw a few shadowy figures among the flames that caused chills to run up and down my spine.

My mother looked back at me and yelled "Faye, run! Now! Go!"

Then she turned and ran at the figures below. I watched as they disappeared into the hungry flames. The smoke obscured my vision, and made it difficult to breathe. After a minute of watching, my mother disappeared, and the figures soon turned and began making their way towards me. I took one look at them, and took off at a full sprint. I had no idea where I was going, I just ran. Tears poured down my face as I snapped back to reality. My parents were gone. Killed by the mysterious figures, and lost in the raging fire and smoke.