Chapter 7

Three days before Donghyuck and Jaemin's encounter

-----Jeno-----

Finally setting foot in Korea made me feel lighter and strange. I tried to stay on the positives of this event like Taehyun advised, but even then, there was an anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach. Everything about this was nerve-wracking; from thinking about seeing my three boys again to seeing my parents and finding out about their true intentions as to why I am here.

A sudden arm around me, making me stumble forward, brings me out of my day-dream. I look to my left, at Taehyun who has a beaming smile directed at me. "Aren't you excited? What's the first thing that you'll do?"

I answer the most rational choice. "I plan to go see my brother. Then, I expect that my parents would want to see me."

We were walking through the airport, dragging our suitcases along. "What about you?" I already know his answer before he even opens his mouth but I thought it was polite to ask and show the same interest.

His eyes instantly get wider, with even more excitement. "I'm going to have lunch with my boyfriend and hang out with my friends after. The last time I saw them was already three months ago and they weren't expecting to see me until Christmas so they want to see me right away."

I smile at his answer, happy that he has people who care for him. Suddenly, a question roams my mind. "Taehyun," I call his attention. He hums, glancing at me, wondering what I want to say. "Why did you take the job if you had so much here in Korea? You have everything that makes you happy here. How did you decide to leave it all behind? Aren't you scared that... they'll, I don't know, forget about you?"

He furrows his eyebrows before grinning again. "They won't. I'm confident of that," he answers confidently, his eyes looking right ahead. "My friends and I have gone through a lot together since high school. They could have dropped me years ago but they never did, they were always there for me and I was there for them." He shrugs. "I have never doubted their loyalty and love for me. They encouraged me to take the job since it has always been a dream of mine to travel places. Also, just because we are miles and miles away doesn't mean that they make me any less happy. And back then when I took the job, I was in need of money and this job gave a better salary than it should've been."

He bites his lip nervously, glancing at me with doubt. I raise an eyebrow, silently telling him to talk. "I, um, I actually plan to quit soon... I've discussed it with my boyfriend and we both think that we don't want to do long distance anymore. So, I plan to look into jobs while we're here." He pauses before inhaling deeply. "I'm sorry, Hyung," he says with sincerity.

It takes me a second to think through what he just said. I wasn't expecting that and I had never thought that the day Taehyun wouldn't be by my side at work would ever come. I should've but I hadn't and now it ached more than I wish it did. He was my friend, someone I had relied on for years.