NO SUMMER VACATION

The school bell rings, and it's like the starting gun for a sprint. Kids spill out of their seats, voices rising in a cacophony of excitement, plans, and farewells. Some are discussing college choices, while others cry over the end of seeing familiar faces. A few are even planning parties to celebrate; not a bad idea, I might ask if I could join one. But being a demigod, my social circle is limited, a side effect of my heritage as Kronos's son.

Last year, DGH was hit hard by an ambush. More than half of our residents lost their lives in that fight. The cult that had been a constant thorn in our side is now under Nick's control for now. He's managed to send demigods to the training grounds on the Isle of Lemnos or Themyscira, the Amazons' island, where they will train and swear allegiance to Kronos. Nick, the third consul, is part of the big three in the cult, although I haven't met the other two yet.

But that can wait. Right now, I need to get to DGH. The gods are convening to talk about Kronos, and everyone in DGH is invited. Usually, I'd head there after school with Julien, but he's not here right now, so I'll have to pick up Helen on my own.

Helen has just finished her first year of high school and is now a sophomore when college starts. She's changed a lot, both physically and mentally. At five-seven, she's only two inches shorter than me now, and she wears relics of our mother - a purple ring on her left middle finger, earrings, and a necklace, all gifts from Kronos. It's ironic in a way, wearing items from someone she despises, but they're a connection to our past and a piece of our mother that Helen wants to keep close.

I hug my sister as she steps out of the door. "So, how was your first year?"

"It wasn't so bad. No bullying like in middle school," she smiles.

"Good to hear. Made any friends?"

"Quite a few, actually."

Helen seems happier now, and I'm glad for her. Maybe it's because she's not being mistreated by her peers, or perhaps she's found a boyfriend or girlfriend. Or maybe it's because I'm back after a year of silence. Either way, I'm relieved to see her in better spirits.

"But forget about that for now," Helen says, changing the subject. "Isn't something happening back at home?"

"Yeah, the gods are finally taking notice. We're heading to Olympus to discuss how to deal with Kronos."

"Then we should get going," she extends her hand. "Mind if I do it this time?"

"Sure, go ahead. Shadow travel can be exhausting," I reply as we both disappear into a black hole.

And then we're spat out at DGH.

I remember when shadow traveling used to knock me out after just one trip. But after three years of training, it's become second nature for Helen. She's a lot better at "steering" through the shadows than I am, if you can call it "steering" at all.

We join our friends at DGH, a place that's been through hell and back. Survivors have grown closer, bonded by shared trauma. Every so often, someone mentions a lost loved one, and the pain is palpable. It's hard to face them, knowing the grief I've caused. When I'm alone, I've shed tears more than once. The attack hurt all of us deeply, and only in the presence of fellow demigods here can we find some solace and healing.

But soon, the war will start in earnest, and another tragedy will befall this place.

Chiron leads us to the elevator, a mundane contraption in the home of literal gods. We're heading to the gods' throne room, where ten deities await - Zeus, Hera, Hestia, Hermes, Artemis, Athena, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Demeter, and even Hades. I can't help but wonder why Hades is here.

Nick, who's been guiding me through this tangled web of demigod politics, nudges me. "According to Lord Kronos, your second father came here at Kronos's command. As he has already won over the trust of the gods, he will do well as a double agent."

"Got it. Anything else I should know?" I ask Nick.

"No, my liege," he replies with a bow.

"Alright, thanks, Nick," I acknowledge him before joining the gods.

We bow before the gods, and Zeus's gaze lands on me, his expression unreadable. "Tell me, boy. You were missing for a year. What happened exactly?"

"As I've said before, Mei was ordered to kidnap and sacrifice me in a ritual to the Titan Lord. I managed to escape and contact Hades before coming here," I explain.

"Yes, that's what your father told us as well," Zeus acknowledges. "Did you learn anything about our enemy during your captivity?"

"Not much. I heard some talk of reviving someone called the general, but nothing substantial," I reply honestly.

Zeus's eyes widen in realization. "So that's it."

Athena interjects, her voice carrying the weight of wisdom. "Kronos used himself as bait to distract us from Atlas. It's no wonder we suffered losses."

Hades adds his perspective. "Sending only a handful of gods was a mistake. DGH almost fell if I hadn't intervened."

Zeus doesn't seem pleased with Hades's comment, but he doesn't argue. Instead, he addresses me again, "Well, despite that, you've done well to rebuild. Kronos will return, and we must be prepared."

I take a deep breath, gathering my courage to make a request. "Lord Zeus, if I may be so bold, we need more support from Olympus."

Zeus raises an eyebrow. "More support? Aren't we doing enough?"

"I'm grateful for what you've done, but after the attack on DGH, we're short on manpower and resources. We need better defenses, equipment, and information about the whereabouts of your children. And if possible, it would be reassuring to have at least one god stationed at DGH," I explain, my tone respectful but firm.

Zeus's response is dismissive at first. "You're responsible for DGH's defense. We'll handle Kronos swiftly, and that will be the end of it."

I sigh internally, feeling frustration bubbling beneath the surface. "Yes, forgive me for speaking so boldly."

But Athena speaks up in support. "The boy has a point. If we want DGH to protect Olympus, we must provide the necessary support."

Artemis agrees, "Father, I volunteer to stay at DGH. We can't underestimate Kronos or the Titans."

Zeus hesitates but ultimately rejects the idea. "No, we've already lost too many gods. We can't afford to have our best fighters sidelined."

Athena starts to argue but stops herself, realizing it's futile to go against Zeus's decision.

I bow respectfully before Zeus once more. "Lord Zeus, can none of the gods really help us?"

"You've heard my answer," Zeus snaps, ending the discussion.

But then, to everyone's surprise, Hestia raises her hand. "Will you object to me as well?"

Zeus considers for a moment before sighing. "You'll be staying here regardless of the war?"

Hestia nods, "Yes, I wish to help our children defend Olympus."

"Then the choice is yours," Zeus concedes.

As the meeting concludes, I can't help but feel mad. The gods, as usual, don't seem to care about us demigods. DGH will be left alone, and it's just frustrating. The gods think they're so high and mighty, but they don't think about how many demigods will get hurt trying to protect Olympus against the Titans. Do they even care if we all end up dead, or will they just replace us like it's no big deal? And I say this as someone on the other team, on Kronos's side.