Chapter One

Rubén Ortiz had never been one to ask for help, but fate can be cruel sometimes, and in a matter of seconds it can make the world crumble beneath your feet.

When two years ago his father Alejandro had been diagnosed with cancer, life had drastically changed his plans, as well as his sister's.

Leticia Ortiz was 23, and she was the kind of woman could see right through lies, she'd asked her brother where the hell he found the money to pay for their father's expensive therapy, and each time he'd tell her it was the money he had saved for college.

The I-can-see-right-through-this-bullshit look Letty would give him, was enough for Rubén to turn around and walk away from her.

She started working double turns and she had sold her Torino Cobra so that they could afford their father's therapy, her smile progressively fading each time she saw Alejandro getting weaker.

Rubén left his last college year, and he expected everything but Owen Shaw coming to see him and offering money for his dad.

Owen was a cool guy, he was rich but his attitude didn't show it off, and they had hung out a copule times when they were teenagers.

As years went by they barely saw each other, as both of them were busy building their lives.

The surprise on Rubén's face when he'd showed up was evident. Owen had practically begged him to accept the help he was offering and, after some of what Rubén now recognised as manipulation, he'd accepted the money.

The deal was that Ruben would work for Owen by delivering merchandise with a truck.

Alejandro had died one and half year later anyway, but he kept working so that he could return all the money he owed Owen until Letty had actually opened his eyes.

Flashback, three months earlier.

"Rubén, do you really think that he can raise all that money just thanks to a fucking cigar truck company?", Letty had asked, staring at him in disbelief.

Rubén had sighed and looked away, "I don't know Letty, maybe he can, it's a big company and it's been around forever".

"Please, you know that's bullshit! Did you ever think that he only came to you because he has a personal gain in all of this? You barely knew the guy and all of a sudden he wanted to be your hero-bestfriend?", her eyebrow arching in question.

"Letty he helped us! I don't give a shit about the fact that I barely knew him, we could have never made it without that money!" he snapped, pinching the bridge of his nose as Letty looked at him from across the table.

"Do you hear yourself? You're telling me you trusted him just like that?" she asked, her mouth hanging open.

"Oh God! Stop, you're being paranoid! He helped us, I'm  just returning the favor and I don't want to discuss about it".

"You never checked the merch you deliver, did you?"

"No. End of discussion, I know what I'm doing", he replied sternly.

"Fuck you, Rubén! I really hope you know what you're doing", she growled, reaching for her small purse and stacking a pile of money on the table as she got up.

"Where the hell did you get that?" Rubén asked, staring at Letty as she threw her jacket on.

"I've still got a family in LA" she bit back as he opened his mouth to speak, but she anticipated him, "don't fucking start it with me, these people care about me just as I care about them, so whatever you wanna say, keep it to yourself".