Chapter 2 - SABINE

Sabine sped across the Lothal plains, her coloured hair swirling behind her. Just something about riding at endless speed with the adrenaline flowing through you was so... freeing. In those moments, the world is a blur; nothing else matters. She slowed as she drew closer to the old communications tower, and glanced back to see Porter returning in his fighter to the city centre. Sabine swung herself off her bike and wondered how he would explain her lack of returning with them, but ceremonies and speeches were never really her thing. Especially the kind like this.

The communications tower door rattled open and a scruffy little loth-cat hopped down from he table to greet its owner. Sabine scratched its chin gently as it purred, and proceeded fill its bowl with food. She set the cats meal on top of a crate and stroked its back as it ate. She sighed and turned to her terminal computer, a red light blinking from it. Sabine rose and pushed the button and stared at the screen above. She'd received one new transmission from a private terminal on a New Republic starship. Sabine smiled as she answered the recorded transmission; a hologram of Skilah appeared before her:

"Hey Sabine, I just wanted to tell you how much I miss you, even though you hear me say it almost everyday," Skilah chuckled. "Good luck with the ceremony today, I hope it all goes smoothly."

Oh, the irony, Sabine thought.

"I wish I could be there, and I hope you know how much I want to be there. I have to go, but, I'll check in with you soon. I love you, my Nite Owl."

The transmission faded, but the smile stayed spread on Sabine's lips. She prepared to send her own message back to Skilah, when she remembered another hologram that sat in a box under her desk. Only, the person on this particular hologram wouldn't be returning home to her.
Sabine lifted the box from under the table and picked out a holo-chip from the bottom of it.

Ezra Bridger appeared before her, although Sabine imagined he would look quite different now to how he did on the hologram. She wondered where he was, what he might be doing. She wondered how she would ever find him; he was-

"-counting on you to see this through. May the Force be with you."

The recording ended, but the image of Ezra remained, just like Sabine's memory of him. She smiled and stared at him for a while longer, reminiscing on the years they spent growing up together. At last, Sabine lay herself down and fell into an uneasy sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WORD COUNT: 446