Chapter 3

When we got home, it was just me and Mum. Dad was still at work and my sibling was still at school. They're still in primary school, unfortunately, we won't be in the same school again until I'm in my final year of high school. I went to my room and put my bag down, pulling out my tablet so I could do some homework while I waited with Mum for the rest of my family.

I looked at my room with new eyes. My walls were plain, just white with nothing adorning them to show anything about myself. I had a half-empty chest of drawers, just enough clothes to get by day to day but not enough to form a teenage wardrobe, especially a girl one. I had a small walk-in wardrobe with a few nice things hanging up, including a flower girl dress that I wore to Dad's little sisters' wedding. She wanted a more traditional wedding than most do these days, so she wanted a page boy and flower girl, technically they were page and flower kids, but I got a pretty dress and her husband's nibbling wore a suit. I remember at the time saying I was lucky, I was 5. They said, "No I'm lucky, you have to wear a dress." The last time I saw him, he had taken to his puberty, and the girls found him attractive.

I had soft toys all over the place, neatly placed, and some court shoes for team sport. I loved playing netball and basketball; netball suited me better. I had a desk in my room that I did homework on, and a game system attached to my TV, I think I need a mirror for my desk.

I went out to the lounge and sat on the couch with Mum. She was watching a news show talking about the last bastion of an old cult that followed some preacher who died thousands of years ago. To be fair they are responsible for the calendar we use and a couple of our family public holidays we get, but they're such a small group now that most people just laugh at their claims or feel sad for them. I was reading the class notes from science class today when Dad came home with Casey. They rushed in and hugged me before going to their room.

"Hi Kido," said Dad. "How did everything go today?"

"It went well, Dad. I'm happy with the outcome."

"Which is?"

"I'm a girl, Daddy. I'm your daughter."

He came over and gave me a big hug. "I'm so happy for you honey. I'm glad you've figured that out. I'm glad I have a daughter."

I started to cry, I'm so happy my parents love me for me. It's rare but I've heard of some people raising their kids to be one gender and disowning them when they weren't. "Thanks, Dad. In retrospect, it was kind of obvious."

"Yeah, maybe. You had such joy in that bridal party dress. It was hard to get you to stop twirling around in it. You were so happy to be so pretty. Anyway, what's my daughter's name?"

"Josie. I wanted to keep Jo in my name."

"I like it. A pretty name for a pretty girl. You're still going to watch sports with me?"

"Daddy, of course. I'm a girl but I still love sports. Maybe I'll see how good I can be as an athlete."

"Sounds good honey. You do what makes you happy. Just stay in school, OK? Athletes' careers don't last long."

"Of course. I love science and maths too."

"Are you sure it was obvious you were a girl?"

"Daaaad, yes. That attitude is so two centuries ago."

"So is that phrase."

"Yeah, but people still use it."

Just then Casey came back from their room, after getting changed out of their school clothes. "So, do I have a brother or sister?"

That was a little blunt. "A sister, please call me Josie."

"That's cool," they hugged me closely. "I'm happy I have a sister. You're still going to play with me though?" They seemed a little scared that I wouldn't want to go outside and play with them.

"Of course. Nothing has changed. Yes, I'm a girl but I still love running around with my sibling and playing with them." They hugged me tighter, then let me go.

"That's good. I love playing different games with you."

"Right," said Mum, "let's go out for dinner to celebrate. Josie, come with me, I have something for you." I followed Mum to her room. "I suspected a while ago that you would be my daughter. I went out shopping last week and found this," she pulled out a beautiful royal blue dress, with wide shoulder straps, and flared knee-length skirt, in a lined satin that was just gorgeous. "I saw it and immediately thought it was you. Can you please wear it tonight?"

I hugged Mum and smiled. "It's beautiful, I'd love to wear it. I don't have shoes to go with it though."

"You are such a girl." Mum reached back into her closet and pulled out a pair of 2" black heels, a black cardigan, and a black purse. I hugged Mum. "I wouldn't let my daughter go out without the right accessories. Go get dressed and then come back here. I have a couple of sample fragrances that you can try."

I hugged her and rushed to my room. I found some black undies that would be great for tonight and not show. I'm such a girl and I love it. After quickly getting dressed, I carried my cardigan and purse and then went back to Mum's room. She had put on a similar dress, hers was more mature and more elegant than mine. She sat me down at her desk and had me look at her. She fussed with my hair a little, mumbling under her breath, "I wish we hadn't gotten her that last haircut." She then asked me to pucker, put on some lip-gloss, and then handed me the tube. "Put this in your purse in case you need to touch up your gloss. Now, let's look at the scents." I smelled a few different ones and decided to try a vanilla and floral scent, it was nice. Once we finished, we went back to the family room to join the rest of the family.

"Wow Josie, you're quite pretty, just like your mother," said Dad.

"Thanks, Dad. You look handsome tonight."

"Thanks, honey."

"Ok, let's go."

On the way to dinner, I checked my phone. I had a message from Arthur. "How did it go today?"

"Good, I'm a girl. Please update my name to Josie."

"Cool, I'm sure you're pretty. Looking forward to seeing you Monday. Have a great weekend."

"Thanks, you too."

That was interesting. Maybe he likes me. Who knows, I'll have to see.

We had a great family dinner. I had some older boys check me out when I walked in and when I left. It was nice to see that, it helped me feel like I made the right decision.