Chapter 4

"Hi Josie, welcome back. Did you have a good week?"

"Yes, I did, thank you, doctor."

"I must say you seem far more relaxed and happier than last time you were here."

"Thank you, doctor. I'm happy with the decision I made. It kind of makes sense when I think about it, and it feels right for me."

"That's good. Right, let's get started."

I had a battery of tests run on me and then I received an implant, however the whole time I kept thinking about what happened this week.

Over the weekend, Mum took me shopping for some additional clothes for my wardrobe. She got me some new satin nighties, some more girly underwear, a couple of training bras, and some dresses, skirts, and tops. It was fun to shop with Mum for this. She also made sure I had new deodorant and a good face care routine. After some prodding from me, she got me a beginner makeup kit and a nail care kit with a few nice nail polishes. Sunday afternoon I spent some time working on my nails and I managed to get a nice coat of polish in a nude colour, I hoped my classmates would notice.

Monday at school was interesting. Everyone was asking me all morning what my decision was, I told them my new name. I love hearing people call me Josie. It was interesting to see how people treated me after they knew. Some of my old friends, the guys mostly, tended to be a little more reserved around me, a few of them would try to show off when me and the other girls were around. The girls were always friendly to me, but now it felt like I was one of them. They took me into their groups and world, speaking to me just like they did with each other. I still ran around and played sports at lunch, but that felt different too. The boys were gentler with me than before, I found myself relaxing and acting more like the girls were when something good or bad happened. The result felt different too, yes, I'm still competitive and did my best, but the outcome didn't matter as much as performing well. By the end of the week, I had gotten into the habit of hugging the other girls hello or goodbye.

Milly and Stacey were both very excited about my choice.

"I always thought that you would be a girl in the end," said Milly.

"Yeah, you always seemed more like us and my big sister than the boys," said Stacey.

"Thanks, I'm glad you said that. I was hoping that we could get to know each other better. It would be nice to have a couple of girl friends that can help me learn about being a girl."

"Always Josie. We've been friends for a long time."

"Yeah, Milly and I are happy to help. You're a great person and I'm sure you'll be a happy and beautiful woman."

"Thanks, girls," we hugged each other. "First question, can I get a school skirt? I like the shorts, but I'd love the option."

"Sure girl, let's go to the office." We walked together, arm in arm to the office and the uniform store, talking and giggling as we went. About 10 minutes later I had a new school skirt and a better relationship with the 2 girls. They made me promise to wear the skirt to school the next day, I said I'd check with mum.

Arthur has been funny this week. He's tried to be friendly like before, but it comes across as a little awkward, it's cute. I haven't changed since last week, but he still stumbles over things and says odd things at times. Tuesday was the funniest, I came to school in my new skirt, it's a simple pleated midi skirt that is in the school's dark green. It was different to wear at school, I was aware of the way the skirt moves and I made sure I kept my legs together.

"Morning, um, Josie. You look good today."

"Thanks, Arthur. You look good today too."

"Yeah, thanks. I, um, I'm not doing anything different though."

"I know, you always look good."

"Um, thanks. I think you always look good too. I think you look good in the skirt."

"Thanks, Arthur," I lightly taped him on the shoulder. "I'm glad you think I look good. Being a girl suits me, it feels right."

"Being a girl suits you." We stood there a little awkwardly. "Anyway, I've got to go do something. See you later."

"Yeah, see you later Arthur."

He walked off quickly, seemingly going red. I walked over to the girls who all said that he likes me.

"No, we've been best friends for years, there's no way he likes me."

"Girl, come on," said Milly. "He's so awkward around you. He's gone bright red after that little chat. Plus, I'm sure his shorts are a little tighter than they were before he spoke to you." The other girls all giggled at that. It took me a little while to understand what she meant.

"Milly, gross. I don't want to think about that."

"You will give it a few months. I don't think he's thinking about it, but it has a mind of its own, so my brother has complained about when he started growing." The girls giggled again. I couldn't help but think how weird that would be, having something dangling there and growing bigger without any control. Fortunately, I'll never have to worry about that.

"So, Josie," said the doctor breaking me out of my thoughts. "How do you feel?"

"I feel fine, my arm's a little sore but otherwise I feel good. I'm very happy being a girl."

"That's good. Now if you have any issues, please let us know immediately, otherwise, I'll see you at our first check-up in 6 months."

"Great, thank you, doctor."

I left the office with Mum; I had a smile on my face and was looking forward to seeing what happens over the next few months.