Chapter 57

Sam pulled Rae's hair tight enough. Thank you for doing my hair, your ponytails are just greater than the way I do them. Well thank you gorgeous. Rae smiled. Have you talked to Leo since? Rae shook her head no. It'll be okay, love. Thanks. Sam rubbed Ro's back. Wake up.

We're gonna go to the hospital and surprise him there and everyone else is already alerted about it so we should be good. Not too big. Not too big. Shhh he's coming. Raul smiled. Awww hey guys. MOVE! I'm so loved. Sam laughed and kissed his cheek. Po walked out and looked at everyone. Its my birthday and yes I would've ignored it but I know Ro told you all and you're planning something...just want you to know I can't do balloons because the popping causes major ptsd and my Parkinson's is getting worse so yeah. Everyone sighed and looked at him. Happy birthday!!! They said in sync. Sure thanks. Do you still wanna see Lisa? No. Oh. Not right now, I just wanna eat and drive out to the lake. Its 8 in the morning. Po looked at Raul with an death stare. Yep we will go there. And NO Hawaiian shirts! Shit. Raul whispered. Is it me or is Po meaner than usual?! No he is.

Do you want a cake or not? I want to die. Woah. I know you guys are planning something. But we're not. Well good then. Why are you so angry? Rae I don't have patience for the questions. Sorry. It's fine. Rae looked at everyone worryingly. I don't know. She whispered shrugging. Cassie died today two years ago. Oh. I always liked my birthday ever since I had the memory of what a birthday was and then I just it just got bad after the war and yes she made it better but now I'm reminded of her being gone and I can't sit and act like what you guys are planning is okay because it's not gonna make me feel better, it'll make everything worse. Po we don't have anything planned because we didn't even know. Yes you did...I know Ro told you guys. Sorry Pa. Let's just go home or the store, I want strawberries. Yeah we can do that..of course. Stop being birthday nice to me. Birthday nice? Being overly nice because it's my birthday..it's annoying and no I don't think I'm being harsh. Welp.

I made you a strawberry cake. No you didn't. You caught me..it's store bought but still made with love! No it wasn't. Yeah no it wasn't the worker was really mad at me because I wanted it perfect. Well I love it and I love you. I love you too. Cassie smiled kissing him. What are you gonna eat? I got Julian bringing in some ribs and mashed potatoes later today. I want some. Not uh you got your cake and I'll make a steak for you later...it's too early for that right now. Po smiled at her. What? Your accent is so beautiful. Thank you but it's pretty southern. I have a thing for southern girls. Cassie sat on his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck. And I have a thing for stubby old men. Well look at that, we're perfect for each other. Oh yeah we are. Po kissed her cheek. Happy birthday babe. Thank you Cas. Always. Hmm.

None of these are firm. I'm sure there's more. No I wanna stay right here. But. STOP! Jesus Christ can you stop? Can you all stop. Yeah sure. Some people in the store looked over. Hey sir do you need help? Do you guys have any strawberry shortcake or cake? Um our bakery section won't open up until about ten but I'm sure it should be easy enough. Why not right now? It's just not open now. Why not. I'm not sure, that's just how it works. It's my birthday today. Ah happy birthday! Yeah thanks. Mhm. I want the cake now so I can just leave. I'll let them know when they come. Ugh. Po walked away. Raul gave his money to the worker. Thanks for dealing with this and we're sorry...I'll be back to get the cake. Alright.

I think it'll be okay. Yeah me too. Leo held ears hand and smiled at her. I'm not mad at you for avoiding me since the I love you thing. I'm sorry. Rae it's fine. I love you a lot. I love you too. So what are you gonna do now? That your parents are both dead. I can do a lot more illegal stuff! Hilarious. Rightttt. Rae laughed. I'll be fine. I trust that. Leo smiled at her. It's been a year and you still make me the happiest person ever. Ugh you make it sound like we're married. I just appreciate your presence and want it all the time. I've wanted you for a long time. You have? Yes! Of course but I just. You what? I couldn't bring myself to ask you out. You figure all of this stuff out and then we can have a talk about us. You're amazing and I just keep missing you. We will figure all the icky stuff out. Rae gave him a weird look. What? Are my eyes certainly blue and eery? No I just hate the word icky. Ahhh does it make you feel icky? YES! That's how you and Matt made me feel. Rae deadpanned. Okay that was good. Mhm.

Po looked at ro. I was your age once. Yeah a million years ago. Ha ha. Ro laughed. So so curious and wondering. Always in a good mood too? No. Oh right. I'm not trying to be mean but I also don't care if I am because I'm getting old and you guys are doing a lot. We're not though Pa...you're just being grumpy. Maybe. You've never been this mean...ever but it's okay we're not offended or hurt maybe Raul but not the rest of us. It's been an overwhelming birthday and that's maybe because I've only had the last few with Cas but I'm so frustrated. But why? Everything is falling out of my hands and disappearing and I can't stop it. You can't stop life or stop living it just because everyone else's is moving around you..you have to get up and change what's wrong. Wow you've got knowledge kid. Yeah it's because I'm not as old as you. Ouch. Yeah the stereotype that old people are wise is completely wrong and younger people are smarter cue why I just dropped the ol knowl on ya, happy birthday old man. Thanks kid. Po said smiling. He's smiling guys! Po is smilinggg...I made him smile! Im magic.

I don't think he's coming out guys. You think he's gay? No for the surprise! Ah makes more sense. Everyone started to take the decorations and stuff down as Po walked out of his room and into the kitchen grabbing a cupcake and taking a bite. Everyone just watched him confusedly. Well don't take the decorations down cause I was mad hours ago. Ayyy! Everyone started cheering him on and laughed. Happy birthday man. Raul ran out to go get Po's cake out of the car. How old are you? 22. Ah I knew it. Thought you were eighteen. Nah man. Raul put the cake on the table and looked at Po. Happy birthday Po. Thanks son. Leo was about to knock on the door as Rae noticed and walked out. Hey. Hi. Uhm happy birthday Po. Thankkssss. Leo smiled. I got you this. What is it? A birthday present? Sassy. Po snatched the gift and gave an annoyed expression to Leo. Thanks for the gift. You're welcome. Rae walked out the house and grabbed Leo's hand.

Leo and rae were laying on the grass looking at each other. Leo sat up and grabbed Rae's hand to sit her up. Rae I wanna kiss you. Then kiss me. Your lips will reveal something gravitational towards me and I don't know if I'm ready. So kiss me and find out. Rae put her hand on Leo's knee and scooted closer towards him. Leo looked away but Rae grabbed his chin and kissed him softly. Leo closed his eyes and gave in to the kiss. He put his hands on her neck and kissed her faster. Leo I can't breathe. Me neither. Rae pulled away and looked at him. That was amazing. I agree. Rae looked at him. So will you be my boyfriend? Yes. Rae smiled kissing him again. Good because I'd LOVE to be your girlfriend. How much? Like SO much.