8. Ophelia

I turn away from the receptionist after checking in for my appointment and look up into the waiting room. Holden is sitting in a chair looking at me. His eyes are wide. My heart skips a beat and I freeze.

"Hi," he says quietly, his hand up to wave.

I smile at him, "um, hi."

We stare at each other for a moment. I don't know what to say or do. I just look into his grey eyes. My heart is still racing. Without thinking, I sit down in the chair to his right. He turns in his seat, still keeping eye contact with me.

"How are you here?" I ask.

"I don't live too far away from here," he leans back still looking at me, "I have to come back here every two weeks for my appointments."

I nod and look down at his left leg. It is straightened out in front of him. Underneath the hem of his sweatpants peaks some metal. He's wearing a leg brace.

"How's your head?"

He runs his hand through his curly hair, "I had four surgeries on my neck for nerve damage. My head healed up. I have a gnarly scar now."

Holden moves his head to the right and pushes his hair out of the way. I see the scar running from his temple to behind his ear. You can barely see it when his hair is in the way. On his neck, there are red angry scars marring his perfect skin. One looks fresher than the others. Likely from his most recent surgery.

"I'm happy you are okay," I say.

"My left leg doesn't work like its supposed to," he looks down at his leg, "that's why I have to do physical therapy. I can't bend it or put any weight on it."

He starts rubbing his thigh, staring at his leg. We stay quiet. He's lost in his thoughts. Still rubbing his leg. I gently put my hand on his forearm. Halting his movements. Holden's eyes jump up to mine.

"I'm really sorry, Holden," I rub my thumb over his smooth tan skin.

"Holden Oakes," a woman in teal scrubs call by the reception counter.

"How can I talk to you again?" He doesn't move from his chair, my hand still on his arm.

"I-I don't know," I stammer.

"Please, Ophelia," he breaths, "I need to talk to you again."

I remove my hand and sit back, "I can't, Holden."

"Holden Oakes," the nurse says again.

He slowly stands, keeping eye contact with me, "why?"

"I have a boyfriend, Holden," I stay seated, "I'm sorry."

He shakes his head at me and leans heavily on his crutch, "just your number. That's all I ask."

The nurse is still waiting for him at the counter, looking annoyed. Holden just looks at me. I pull out my phone and give it to him. He takes it with a smile and puts his number in my phone. He places my phone back in my hand.

"Call me, please," he says as he turns and walks away.

I stare at my phone. I can't believe that I got his number. My heart is still beating out of my chest. I change his name in my phone to H. Just in case Ryan checks my phone and sees it.

"Ophelia Carter," I look up to the same nurse calling my name.

I stand and walk to her. Walking back with her to my exam room, I think about Holden and wherever he is in the building. I can almost sense him; he is so close. Some reason I believe that I need to be there to help him through this difficult time. I want him to get better. To feel better. Help him with his leg.