Part 2

If Ares found out what he had done in order to get Zeus to give him Aphrodite's hand in marriage, he would kill him. Brothers or not.

Hephaestus had not only cost him his one true love, but had also threatened their mother, which would only add to the list of reasons for the god of war to put an end to his pathetic existence. He looked at Hera, who turned her back on him as soon as their gazes met. She was most likely never going to forgive him, and rightly so.

He claimed to have built her a beautiful golden throne but, as soon as she sat on it, his mother was trapped. Only after Zeus agreed to get him married to the goddess of love did the blacksmith of the gods agree to release Hera.

What else was he supposed to do? He had tried to woo Aphrodite by creating the most beautiful jewellery, but she vehemently rejected his advances. And he was so smitten with her that he was willing to do anything to make her his. Even if it meant breaking her heart. A necessary little mishap, but eventually she would learn to love him.

He looked at his wife, sitting next to him, and touched her hand lightly. She jerked it away with visible disgust. She was still pissed off.

He leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"I have a gift for you."

"I'd tell you where you can shove it, but it's verbiage I don't like to use." Aphrodite looked at him for the first time since she had learned they were engaged. "Your ridiculous trinkets will never change how I feel about you."

He propped his chin on the palm of his hand. He was starting to get fed up with her attitude.

"And how do you feel about me?"

As if he didn't already know the answer. The smile she graced him with creeped the hell out of him. It was a cold, almost deadly smile.

"I'd throw you off Mount Olympus myself if I had the chance."

She stood up gracefully, leaving him to watch her as she walked away. Zeus slumped down beside him in the now empty seat. He took a long sip of his drink and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

“Is this what you were hoping for with your pathetic schemes?” He laughed, clearly amused at his son's misfortune. "How long do you think it will take before she drags your brother into your bed?"

"She wouldn't dare."

"No?" His mouth curved into a sneering grimace. "She loves him. She hates you. It's simple mathematics. Speaking of which, where is your wife?"

Hephaestus looked down at the marble floor. He knew what Zeus would say if he told him he had no idea where she had gone.

"I believe she and Apollo are engaged in conversation."

"Right. Although the name you're looking for also starts with an A, I seriously doubt it's Apollo." Hephaestus shot him a menacing glare. "Don't look at me like that. I should punish you for what you've done, but the Moirae will take care of that." He raised his goblet as if to make a toast. "To greedy fools who wish for more than they can handle."

Zeus stood up, striding away to join his wife. The blacksmith clenched his fists so hard his knuckles turned white. He was becoming a joke among the gods for marrying Aphrodite despite knowing how much she despised him, but he believed that in time she would come to love him.

Why wouldn't she, he thought.

He massaged his temples as he saw Helius approach. He couldn't take another lecture, no matter who it was from.

The sun god crossed his arms over his chest.

"What is it?"

"This was without a doubt the stupidest idea you've ever had." His golden eyes studied his features thoroughly. "She'll break your heart and turn you against your brother."

He snorted.

"Aphrodite is married to me. She will forget Ares and learn to love me."

"I hope you're right."

"Why wouldn't I be? Love is something you build, is it not?"

"Yes, but it is also poisonous. Deadlier than the venom of the deadliest snakes. That being said, keep an eye on those two. I have a feeling a marriage won't be enough to keep them apart."

His gaze fell on his wife, who suddenly looked more radiant than ever. Suspecting what the reason for her sudden change of mood might have been, he arched an eyebrow.

"Will you do me a favour?" He nodded. "Can you keep an eye on her when you drag the sun into the skies?"

"Consider it done."

Hephaestus thanked him with a nod. Aphrodite would never see Ares again
without him being aware of it.

Their love story had come to an end. Now it was Hephaestus' turn to finally get his wife's affection.