XXXI

a/n - thank you all for the love and support thus far! I'm so glad GLBH has reached so many new readers and I want to truly thank each and every one of you for reading :)

- mint

~+~

And with Lucerys Velaryon's death, the war of ravens and envoys and marriage pacts came to an end, and the war of fire and blood began in earnest. - f&b

~+~

Jacaerys

Jace watched as Baela accepted another glass of wine from Lady Jessamyn Redfort. The older woman laughed at something the princess said, and they both hid their smiles behind their hands. Jace knew Baela was lonely without Rhaena, even if she tried to claim otherwise. He saw it in the slump of her shoulders, the way her smile failed to fully lift her warm cheeks, the manner of which she was often looking over her shoulder to Dragonstone. But he was glad to see her smiling proper once more, even if it was not he who drew it from her.

"You love her?"

"A great deal," Jace answered with a sigh, pushing up from the railing to meet Lady Jeyne Arryn's curious gaze. She was an intimidating woman, just as his mother promised she would be, and she leaned against a pillar, crossing her arms as she followed his gaze. Her eyes were a piercing blue. A blue as bright as her gown.

"Hmm. Your mother knew this when she arranged the wedding?"

"I cannot say for certain, my lady. She might have had an inkling. She might not. All I can say is that I'm eternally grateful that my heart fell in line with what was best for the family."

(To an extent. For another still called to him. Another he would see soon.)

"Lucky, aren't you?" Jeyne asked, nails tapping along her sleeves. "Not many can claim such a thing."

"No. They can't," he agreed.

Jeyne nodded slowly, and she took a step closer to Jace, leaning over the railing with him. She clasped her hands together. Jace noticed she wore many rings of blue and pearlescent gems, but she also donned one ruby ring.

(And if Jace looked to Jessamyn's hands, he would spy a singular sapphire ring.)

(And Jeyne was already looking at Jace. She saw the contentment on his young face. The love. The adoration. And the longing. Baela was only a half of his heart, she thought. She recognized the half he seemed to try and stifle just a little, but for who, she could not know.)

"Your sister is to wed Prince Qoren Martell? Your younger brother to Rhaena Targaryen?"

"That's right."

"Hmm. And Joffrey?"

"Not promised, but I do not doubt that will change in the next few days, my lady."

"Certainly not by my request," she chuckled. Jeyne had an air about her that seemed both so young and so...well, almost motherly. Jace knew Lady Jeyne and his mother were almost the same age-Jeyne was only a few years older-and he wondered if that was it. Or maybe it was because he didn't feel...constricted here in the Eyrie despite the open Moon Door that remained a constant threat. Or perhaps it was because he knew Lady Jeyne was family through his mother, and thus, had been kind at his and Baela's arrival.

Jace chuckled. "I think my brother may be a tad young for you, my lady."

"Even if he were a man grown, he would not be to my tastes."