Chapter 18

Lucy checked the dinner table over and over again, changing the position of the plates, seeing if the forks and knives were straight, making sure everything was perfect. But it still didn't feel right, or maybe what was happening wasn't right. Lucy shook off the feeling and went over to the TV room to call Yaiyai and Natsu before the food got cold.

"Umm... dinner is ready," she said nervously, fiddling with her hands.

"Great!" Natsu said a little too enthusiastically, jumping up before realizing his haste. "Yaiyai, why don't you go first?"

This time Yaiyai didn't even bother to reply with a grunt, just getting up and walking towards the dining room with a frown. She did make sure to turn her head from Lucy dramatically as she passed her. Lucy slumped into the door frame, thinking about how she would manage to survive a minute more with Yaiyai acting like this.

"It'll be alright. Just talk to her and say you're sorry," Natsu suggested, giving a wary look.

"You don't know Yaiyai like I do, she's going to milk this as far as she can," Lucy said, not having the energy to tell him off. "Let's just get dinner over with, and I'll deal with her tomorrow."

Both entered the dining room together. Yaiyai had already taken her seat beside the head of the table, leaving that vacant for Natsu. Lucy took the seat opposite Yaiyai's and beside Natsu.

"Yaiyai, I made your favorite Okonomiyaki myself today. Please have some and tell me how it is," Lucy said, grabbing the dish and placing a large serving on Yaiyai's plate.

"It sure does smell delicious. Doesn't it, Yaiyai?" asked Natsu in a cheery voice as Lucy placed a serving on his plate.

"Natsu dear, can you please pass me the Tonkotsu that Anya made?" Yaiyai said, pushing away the plate with Okonomiyaki and asking for the ramen soup Anya had made.

"Yaiyai, but you love Okonomiyaki," Lucy interjected

"People change," Yaiyai shrugged.

"Yaiyai, please stop this," pleaded Lucy. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten angry and it won't happen again, please."

"You're a grown adult, do as you wish," Yaiyai said, taking a spoonful of the Tonkotsu.

This wasn't going to be easy, Lucu thought.

After dinner, Yaiyai went straight to bed. Lucy cleared the table and started to clean up in the kitchen. After a while, Natsu came in to get some water.

"Need any help?" Natsu asked as Lucy loaded the dishes into the dishwasher.

"Nope."

"I was wondering, what if tomorrow I stayed back from work and we could take Yaiyai out somewhere. Maybe we could get her into a better mood and she'd finally forgive you," Natsu suggested.

"There's no need," Lucy quickly shut the idea down.

"But..."

"Natsu, I can handle Yaiyai myself. There's no need for your help," Lucy snapped before walking away from him to exit the kitchen. Lucy stopped midway, seeing Yaiyai standing in the doorway.

"Yaiyai?" Lucy gasped.

"Did you need anything?" Lucy asked after somewhat composing herself.

"A bottle of mineral water," Yaiyai said.

"I'll get it," Natsu said, running to the fridge and grabbing Yaiyai a bottle, handing it to her. Yaiyai gave Lucy a stern look before turning around to go back into her room.

"You think she heard anything?" Natsu whispered.

"She heard everything." There was no denying it. Lucy knew that look all too well. She needed this day to be over immediately.