xvii.

Ichigo leaps back, twisting to the side to avoid the sudden expansion of Renji's zanpakutō. One of the hooks slices through his shihakushō sleeve before it suddenly snakes around Ichigo.

  Ichigo hums before he suddenly twists in the air and slides Zangetsu's blade against Zabimaru's. Ichigo curves Zangetsu and swings down and backwards, aiming for Renji's chest while he falls right below the expanded zanpakutō.

  "Flower Breathing. Sixth Form: Whirling Peach."

  Ichigo lands on Renji's zanpakutō and uses it as a springboard, not even wincing when one of the hooks slices through his calf. He barely has his feet touch before he jumps back, avoiding another whip of Renji's blade.

  "Flower Breathing. Fifth Form: Peonies of Futility."

  Ichigo charges forward underneath the blade and slashes upward before suddenly slashing left. Renji's eyes widen before he pulls back his zanpakutō to block the blade, only for it to slice downwards and catch his knee before he could fully dodge. Ichigo twists to avoid a third whip of Renji's blade before slashing diagonally, catching onto a shihakushō and slicing it open. Ichigo slashes upward again and slices through Renji's new goggles.

  Renji pulls back his zanpakutō before swinging downward, only to suddenly change and block a slash from his right shoulder and across his chest. Ichigo doesn't flinch when one of the hooks embeds into his arm and wrenches away to thrust forward, piercing through Renji's shoulder. He wrenches up before swinging back down again, only for Renji to fall forward and land an open-palmed uppercut at Ichigo's jaw. Ichigo feels his eyes water, but he continues his final slash towards one of the Shinigami's arms as he stumbles back.

  Ichigo charges forward without a moment's hesitation and thrusts forward, twisting his zanpakutō to slash up across Renji's left arm. Fourth Form: Crimson Hanagoromo.

  Ichigo tenses his jaw when he feels multiple hooks slicing through his shoulder when his blade embeds into Renji's shoulder. Ichigo feels his grin widen before he jumps back to avoid another attack from Zabimaru, spinning in the air to avoid the hooks. One, two...

  Ichigo watches through his peripherals as the whip blade aims for his back and almost laughs in his glee. "Three!"

  He twists in the air and lands on the blade of Zabimaru, making Renji grunt in shock. Hanatarō gasps while Ganju watches in awe while Ichigo leaps directly into Renji's face with barely any weight on his feet.

  "I've got your number now... Renji-san~!" Ichigo exclaims brightly before he twists his body to land a kick right across Renji's face. Renji flies in the direction of the kick, toppling over many trees.

  Ichigo lands in a graceful kneel, grinning brightly with all of his teeth bared. He giggles quietly before he expertly flicks off the blood from Zangetsu's blade.

  "He‒he just kicked Abarai-fukutaichō... he just k-kicked Abarai-fukutaichō through a-a tree..." Hanatarō mutters, trembling like a leaf in both awe and terror. What is he?

  "Holy shit...!" Ganju hisses out from his teeth with a hand on his head. Kurosaki Ichigo is one terrifying son of a bitch.

•••

    "Ukitake-taichō!" Rukia greets in such a heartbreaking tone of relief. Jūshirō doesn't let his anger nor his frustration escape his thoughts and smiles brightly towards his subordinate.

  "Kuchiki-san, how are you doing?" Jūshirō greets back, sitting in front of the cell.

  Jūshirō watches Rukia practically collapse from physical weakness in front of the bars, ignoring the chair "graciously" given to her by the 6th Division. She was pale, more than usual, and she had lost quite a bit of weight. Bags were under her eyes, yet she did not look tired. Rukia was‒for the first time since... since Kaien‒Rukia was alive.