Chapter six. Christmas again.

Emily nodded her head slowly and approached Eduardo's bed. He appeared to be dozing off, and she carefully began administering the antibiotic. When he opened his eyes, an unexpected question escaped his lips. "Do you believe in God?"

The doctor in her gazed at the bottle of rudimentary antibiotic, her expression thoughtful. After a moment, she shook her head. "I believe in science. It's what saves us all."

As Eduardo pressed a tender kiss onto Emily's hands, Peter couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy deep within him. He found this display of affection unusual, and it gnawed at his insides as he entered the room. Covered in dust and utterly exhausted, he clutched a large bouquet of vibrant flowers meant for her. Emily, seemingly unaware of the tumultuous emotions brewing within Peter, smiled warmly at him. However, Peter's fatigue weighed heavily on him, and he barely registered her smile. He swiftly exited the room, his footsteps echoing the heaviness of his heart, filled with a mixture of longing and jealousy.

Over the next week, Emily continued working tirelessly to produce more penicillin for Eduardo and the villagers. Miraculously, Eduardo survived, and the village saw no new cases in the last two days. Emily's dedication to her mission was clear, and her scientific knowledge was instrumental in saving lives the lives of those people. Throughout this challenging period, Peter stood firmly by her side, offering his quiet support and unwavering affection. He may not have had the medical expertise that Emily possessed, but his presence was a constant source of strength. He tirelessly attended to her needs, ensuring she had the necessary supplies, food, and moments of respite amid the chaos.

As the days passed, Emily realized that her time in this newfound world was drawing to a close. The Countess and Father John explained that their departure was imminent, their mission accomplished as the balance of the universe needed to be restored. Rumors circulated that Father John was unwell, and this was his way of disappearing. The Countess, too, was planning her own mysterious departure, choosing to vanish into the depths of the lake, never to be seen again. Emily understood that she, too, had to leave this time and place. She realized she would miss the new world she had discovered, most of all, she would miss Peter, who had been by her side every step of the way, silently loving and supporting her through it all.

Something tugged at her consciousness, causing her to open her eyes. Peter was gazing at her with the adoring eyes of a lover, and she immediately understood. She loved him but had to leave him behind.

"I have to go, for good."

"Can I come with you?"

"Only if you can travel in time..."

"What time?"

"Christmas, 25th of December, 2022, Leavenworth, USA, in a coffee shop called 'Magic Beans'."

"Will you be there?"

"Waiting for you with a cappuccino..."

"I'll be there..."

Sounds of joy and laughter echoed in the background. The aroma of freshly ground coffee beans filled the air. Emily blinked, finding herself sitting at a coffee table with two cups of cappuccino. The chair beside her shifted, and she looked up in surprise.

"That has to be my cappuccino, right?" Peter asked, and Emily simply nodded, hoping that this was indeed her reality.