Chapter 2

Full of surprises 

     I ended up staying the night in the cabin, locked in this room of course. I didn't get much sleep last night. Just on guard, not only with the infected but also with the boys now. That's what is sad about this world, you can't trust your own kind. I mean not that you really could before but it's harder now because the infected stick together, so it would make sense if humans did too, but sadly sometimes humans seem to be more against each other than they are against the infected.

I guess it's because It's been so long since I've been with a group of people, but it felt nice talking to someone besides myself. But I won't stay here. I have to find Jack, and I don't even know these people. Before the outbreak I was an outgoing yet quite person. I liked being around people, but I liked being alone too. I know there's much worse stuff to be worrying about but it's the small stuff that I took for granted that I miss the most.

I'm still very far off from Jacks school. It's not that I think I'm gonna find him there, but I don't know where else to look, maybe there I will get a lead, or who knows maybe he will be there. I try to use logic thinking, of course like I hoped one would do, but this isn't a logic world anymore.

~

A knock on my door startles me. I'm not used to having other people around whatsoever. 

I get up off the comfy bed where I was repacking my stuff from it getting wet by the snow. I open the door to see Thomas about to knock again, he opens his mouth to talk but nothing comes out "Yes?" I finally say to break the awkward silence. 

"Uhhh, okay" he says while grinning and scratches his head and looks around him "If I'm being completely honest part of me didn't think you'd still be here" he says and slowly shakes his head "I mean I figured you'd leave last night or early this morning, you know first chance ya got."

I nod "Guess I'm full of surprises" Thomas agrees "Okay well, now that we've established, you're still with us, we're having a meeting."

A meeting? Surely, they must know I don't plan on staying, "Right now, in the living room" he finishes. I nod and shut my door and walk down the hall to the living room with him. Where Luke is sitting in the chair, which leaves the love seat and the couch. I sit beside Thomas on the couch. Maybe I missed how much I miss being around other people.

 Luke started the "meeting" by talking about their plans to update the cabin for more safety. Which of course doesn't involve me since I won't be staying here, Thomas must hear my thoughts "You don't plan on staying huh?" Luke looks at me.

"Well running into people was never part of my plan." I try to be nice because of how much they welcomed me. They left food and blankets at my door last night. And these days a debt like that is hard to pay off.

"What exactly is the plan then?" Luke asks. I contemplate, rather I should tell the boys or not. There's no sense in being dishonest with them though. What would be the point? They let me stay in their home, trusted me to not shoot them, the only thing to worry about is if they follow me, but I just get the sense that these guys are good.

"Okay well my brother and I got separated, so I'm looking for him" I keep it simple, so I won't bore them with my whole life story. But they seem to be curious.

"How did you get separated?" Luke asks. "He came to college here. I'm originally from North Carolina"

"Towards Tennessee or more like the beach?" Luke asks, "What he means is, the west side or the east side?" Thomas corrects Luke.

I chuckle "East side in other words Beach" I shoot Luke a playful smile which he returns.

"So, tell us more about your brother? Where's the school he's attending?" Suddenly I feel a little weird answering these questions though I know they want to know my background just as much as I want to know theirs. Plus, I'm sure they want the common knowledge of what a beach girl is doing in the middle of the snow-covered mountains.