Sneaking Around

"What are the scientific theories in biology?"

"...Uhm, cell theory and gene theory?"

"You're forgetting one," Rowan remarked.

"Really?" Elias questioned.

"Starts with an H," they replied.

"Oh, oh! It's on the tip of my tongue!"

Rowan giggled, "You got it, you got it!"

"HOMEOSTASIS THEORY!"

"YEAH!"

"Alright, I'm giving you that one," they stated as they checked off the question on the study guide in front of them, "That's all the questions, you got a 23 out 30, that's better than the first exam."

"I am okay with that," Elias said proudly.

Rowan flashed him a small smile before looking back down at the study guide for Elias's most disliked class. The guide was placed on top of the biology textbook.

The two teens were sitting in one of the campus' small little green areas.

Elias noticed the shift in their mood, raising an eyebrow before he asked, "What's wrong?"

"Things are getting weird," they muttered.

"And what do you mean by that?" he pondered.

Rowan sighed, "The creatures from the tower, the whole chosen one stuff? I first thought that it was just some crazy cursed demonic, whatever the hell, speech," they rambled, "But then Georgia's grandmother said that something big is coming, and I am at the center of it. ...What the fuck does that even mean?!"

Elias nodded along.

"Ever since I got here, things have been weird! Like this has been nice and fun. I'm making friends, and I am back in school. But my parents are dead, and I know nothing about them, I don't remember them, hell I don't even recognize them!"

Rowan over-exaggeratedly flopped into Elias's lap, making his cheeks become flushed, "Something happened when I was little that I can't remember no matter how hard I try, and it makes me so angry!"

"Do you think it has anything to do with your mom's death?" Elias asked as he looked down at them.

"...Probably," they sighed.

"I know it doesn't help, but I remember her," he commented.

"You knew her?" Rowan asked, slightly shocked.

Elias made a face, "I saw her like two times, her appearance is hard to forget."

"That doesn't make me feel any better," Rowan groaned.

"Well let me make you feel worse," Elias half-joked, "We met when we were little."

Rowan groaned, before slapping their hands over their face.

"It was only once. When I was like eight... or maybe I was seven? I don't know. Anyway, we met in the courtyard on campus. We watched ants for like 15 minutes and then when you left... I never saw you again... Well until now."

The pink-haired teen groaned again, "Oh goddess..."

"Hey, it's no big deal," Elias replied with a kind smile, "We were little."

"This isn't just a case of not remembering because I was six, I don't remember because I can't remember anything from before I was 9!"

"I've heard of old mages and alchemists "locking away" people's memories. Mostly so they could commit crimes," Elias relayed, "Maybe someone locked away your memories when you were little?"