It's Friday

"Hey Brad, have you seen the stack of nonfiction history books I had sitting on my desk?"

Sophia did her job well, until she didn't. When the new security guard, Allen, had started that Monday, everything went out of wack.

"No, sorry Soph. Why did someone put them on hold?"

"Yeah, Allen had given me a list from David."

She looked around her desk, and just as she looked over to the new security guard and where he was sitting, someone cleared their throat.

"Miss Grant, please explain why the childrens' section is once again in disarray."

It was Mrs. Flannack, the woman who she replaced over 4 years ago.

"Mrs. Flannack, it's good to see you. And I do apologize for the mess, but as you can see, Daniel is already picking it up."

Sophia smiled as nicely as she could, even though her stomach wanted to do flips and make her puke.

Eloise Flannack had been the children's section librarian for years, and was unpleased with the fact that Sophia and Daniel had split the job between them, rather than Sophia being left to her own devices.

Eloise snorted in disgust before prancing away to her usual spot on Friday's, the music section. Where she "dabbled" in classical music, even though she never checked anything out.

Daniel came over once Eloise left. He chortled at Sophia acting as if she just ran a marathon.

"Can she be any scarier?"

"Well, unless you put some warts on her nose and face and give her a buck tooth, I don't think so."

They both laughed quietly before Daniel went back to the books to organize them. Sophia started looking for the small stack of books again until Allen approached her.

"Ma'am? Are you looking for these?"

He held the small stack of 4 books up for her to see.

"Why yes I am, I was worried someone had put them back on the shelves."

"I'm sorry, I should've left a note. I don't think we've been formally introduced. I'm Allen Turner."

He stuck his hand out for her to shake. She took his hand gently and smiled.

"Sophia Grant, so what do you need the books for?"

"I'm just researching some stuff. I found out a month ago that my dad was a 4 star general in the military. But I can't find anything, so I thought I'd hopefully find something in one of these."

He smiled softly and she looked at him softly.

"I hope you find the info you need then. I should, get back to work."

"Yes, sorry. I should too."

He smiled as he walked away, he looked back at her once before finally heading into the back to put the books in his bag. Sophia felt her face turn red.

'That was awkward, what the heck Sophia!'

Brad whispered from his desk behind her.

'Oh hush.'

They giggled and finished their work. Finally the end of the day came.