Chapter 30 - Bloodsuckers

'Today I managed to sneak aboard the royal barge. I don't even think that needs an explanation. Merion is furious, but I know he secretly finds it hilarious.'

6th June, 1867

'Nice and easy,' whispered Rhin, tickling the back of Jaspar's neck with the tip of his sword. The man kept flinching away, making the locomotive squeak and lurch.

'Easy, I said,' Rhin reminded him, with a sterner jab. He turned to Hosh. 'Do what you need to do to turn this engine off. It'll coast from here.'

'Aye,' Hosh said. He was an obedient sort, now that Rhin had got through that thick skull of his. Hosh's hands moved over the valves and levers again, cutting the chuffing of the engine to a loud hiss, loud enough to wake the dead. Rhin flinched and accidentally stabbed Jaspar a little deeper than he would have liked. The brakeman cursed and clapped a hand to his neck to feel the blood dripping.

'Bring it up to the barn door, brakeman, like I said,' Rhin ordered. Jaspar nodded, not wanting to get stuck again.

The barn door was open a foot or so, just wide enough for a faerie. As the locomotive hissed again, drawing to a halt, an evil baker's dozen of faeries traipsed out to greet them. The Wit stood at their head, arms crossed and eyebrows raised.

Rhin pressed his hands to the back of Jaspar's neck and a jolt of magick flew through him. Light flashed, and Jaspar curled into a heap on the floor. He managed to mumble a quick 'fuck off' before unconsciousness swallowed him. Hosh followed, barely moments later. Rhin jumped down the steps and strode across the dust and sand to confront Finrig. The look on the Wit's face made him grin.

'You've brought us a train,' Finrig surmised expertly.

Rhin nodded. Steam leaked from the beast like wine out of an old skin. It gave their rendezvous a rather dramatic air. 'That I have. Loaded with Serped coin,' he replied, chest swelling.

Finrig pointed to the bodies lying in the cab. 'And two useless sacks of meat. They saw you and they saw us. Here. You've made yourself a pair of witnesses, Rhin. And I don't like witnesses.'

Rhin shrugged. 'Nobody will believe them. They'll think they're mad, or covering up an inside job.'

Finrig sniffed. 'Slim chance. Serped will come looking for his gold.'

Rhin narrowed his eyes. 'Not if you're long gone by then. As promised.'

Finrig spat, missing Rhin's boot by a whisker. 'In a rush, are we? We'll look at the gold first, before making any rash decisions,' he said, his voice as hard as nails. He whistled sharply, and the Fingers moved towards the two cars tethered behind the locomotive's coal tender. They made no sound. Neither did Rhin and the Wit, as they followed in the shadows. The night was muggy, and it was making Rhin sweat.

The heavy padlocks were no match for tough Fae steel. The lock fell away in two disappointed halves, thudding into the dust. The sliding doors were yanked back, and the faeries looked upon their spoils. Rhin's heart somersaulted when he saw it.

Lord Serped had not disappointed.

The first car was stacked floor to ceiling with bundles of coins. Rhin walked forwards to ogle some more. There was a queen's ransom stacked before him, and this was only the first car.

Another shredded padlock hit the dust, and more doors were wrenched back by strong faerie muscle. Rhin went to see what else this train had to offer.