Chapter 4: We Will Be Reunited Again

"Oh boy... am I tired..."

"We'll have to keep on going though, these tests are insane though..." Childe stated firmly, as the purple bubble floated around, threatening to catch the three adventurers, who stood at the edge, waiting for the right moment.

"For the first time, Paimon agrees with Childe!"

"Tsk. Let's get moving. We're getting closer." Dainself stepped forward, ready to move on.

Childe narrowed his eyebrows. He did not like that man. "Alright... time to get moving again..."

Once they had finally reached the defiled statue, the Abyss Herald showed up.

"Threats outside of the Abyss must be caught and caged!"

"Get ready! Here he comes!"

Between waves of hydro sent by the Abyss Herald, and after a hard-fought battle, the Herald tried escaping, but it was no use, thanks to Dainsleifs' magic grasp on the Heralds' throat. This approach to catching the Herald was only stopped by a blur of sword and magic, leaving a blonde male standing there.

"C-could it be?!"

Aether, almost even ignoring Lumine, kept his gaze on Dainsleif. "Lumine."

"Aether!" Lumine cried happily. "I've finally found you!"

"W-wait, Lumine... he just blocked an attack against the Abyss Herald..." Childe said desperately.

"Your brother and the Abyss..." Paimon's voice shook.

"Lumine, why are you with Dain?"

"...W-what? What do you m-mean by that?"

"Huh?" Paimon was a bit confused.

We've been separated for so long, and that's what you fucking ask me?!

"Your brother knows Dain, Lumine?!" Paimon started spinning circles.

"...Aether. We meet again." Dain finally looked up, his eyes long and distant.

"What's going on here? Dain knows him, too!"

"You shouldn't team up with this man. He is my enemy."

"Aether..." Dain said desperately.

"You've been separated for so long, yet this is what you ask your sister?" Childe asked him angrily.

"Stay out of this conversation, you fatui ass."

"Hold on a second, Aether, why are you asking things that don't make sense?"

"...But it must be said. Don't try to stop me, don't try to stop the Abyss. That man, Dainslief, was the 'Twilight Sword', one of the royal guards of the final dynasty of Khaenri'ah. 500 years ago, he failed to prevent the destruction of Khaenri'ah. A curse of immortality was laid upon him, to forever wander the wilderness... while he watched the people he was supposed to protect turn into the monsters of the Abyss."

"You're saying Dain is from Khaenri'ah?! The same Khaenri'ah destroyed 500 years ago?!"

"Aether, I don't understand... please. Come home with me Aether. Let's go home..."

"Home... yes. Home is wherever we are together. But I can not come home with you now... Not yet. Until the Abyss has engulfed the thrones, my war with destiny will see no end..."

"Destiny...?"

"Listen to me, Lumine. I have already traveled through this world once. Once you reach the end of your journey as I did, you will see for yourself the true nature of this world. But for now... let's see how weak you've become." He attacked, catching Lumine off guard.

"Lumine!" Childe called out. Lumine, stiff from shock, fell to the ground hard.

"W-why..? W-why do you do this? WHAT'S THE POINT OF THIS, AETHER?!" Lumine screamed, giving off a violent golden glare from her eyes, and struck. Dendro rose vines lashed out at Aether, who easily dodged these, only to be next attacked by blasts of pyro, cryo, and electro. Counterattacking all of her moves, he got behind her, knocking her backward into Childe, also causing her exhausted, crying figure, to become unconscious.

"Weak. You've become too weak and predictable." Aether scowled.

"How could you do this? Your sister spent all of her time, just trying to find you, and this is what you do when you see her?!" Childe shouted at the prince.

"You'll never understand, you fatui scum. Don't think I haven't forgotten your affairs with the Abyss. You're lucky enough that I'm letting you out of this. You've helped my sister more than enough times, which is the one thing I will ever thank you for." Aether paused, letting go of his sword, and letting it turn to dust, and faced the harbinger. "Tell her that we'll meet again at the end of her journey if she truly can make it." and then paused once more glaring at Childe. "If you worry about my sister that much... ask her. Ask her what had happened that day. And if you want to strike gold, give up on them. That's the only way, that shall lead to a road with her... that is, if she enjoys your company, not that I like this."

The Abyss Herald opened the portal. "So... we'll meet again... I have more than enough time to wait for you, sister. Goodbye. Take care of my sister, for I must continue my work with the Abyss." the blonde-haired male, turned into the portal with the Abyss Herald, and Dainslief sprinted into the portal, just in time to get the portal.

"Curse him... leaving me alone with an unconscious 'someone' here..." he muttered under his breath. He left, carrying Lumine in his arms, wondering if they would even make it out of there, or even have enough time to save Lumine.