Chapter Six

Chapter Six

As we drew closer to Greenland, the air became colder, thus everyone had to wear warmer clothing. Although, most of us did not have warm clothing. Our boats are not accustomed to traveling on ice and it became difficult to stir our way through the water. Land was within our reach, however. We were blocked by sluggy ice and our boats could no longer go through the icy water, for anything, the ice was pushing our boats back.

“We can swim across, it’s not really cold…” Harald said, coming forward. 

“I agree…” said Hvitserk. 

“My crew will stay behind…” Alfred called out, we turned to him, questioning his intentions. 

“Just in case?” He shrugged. I nodded to him, Vikings are used to harsh conditions, but that has never stopped us. 

As we emerged ourselves into a couple of inches of water; the cold nearly took our breath away, yet we were unbothered as we carried our weapons above our heads. As quickly as we emerged into the icy waters is as quickly as we came out of them. We traveled from the sandy, black beaches to the rocky mountains. I know what I’m searching for, not so much what I’m searching for-whom I’m searching for. 

“Could you tell me what we are doing here?” Hvitserk whispered to me. “What are you looking for?” I smiled to myself.

“Haven’t I taught you anything about patients, my love?” 

We had finally come across a hermit cave as we stopped in front of it, I could sense a presence within it. 

“The Gods have told me you would be coming…” His raspy voice came. I smiled, I knew I was exactly where I needed to be.

“Who are you that they call you, Queen of the Valkyries?” His snippety voice rose. 

“I’m the thrall once under Ragnar Lothbrok, I’ve come to look for the hermit, Floki!” 

Hvitserk snapped his head to me and a bright, gleaming smile appeared across his face. 

“You have caused a lot of trouble, Sigrun! The waves are paved with blood and the air reeks of rotting flesh!” 

I sighed impatiently, I know he is not exactly happy to see me, but I know he would emerge for Hvitserk.

“Come out here so you could see the living flesh of Ragnar’s son!” I called.

“Ragnar’s son?”

“Hvitserk.” 

Floki came forth from the shadows with a big grin across his face. He has aged significantly, his hair on his head is long gone, and his beard has grown, and now he walks with a stick. Floki nodded to me and smiled somewhat pleasantly, but his eyes were for Hvitserk as they both embraced each other. 

--

Floki was kind enough to invite us into his little home that wasn’t far from the cave. He is more open to me now, far more open than the last time when we were in York together. I had told him everything since I began my reign, he wasn’t too fond of my bond with King Alfred, but he rejoiced when he heard Ivar had a son, and he cried when I confirmed Ivar was truly dead. He felt it in his heart, but he refused to believe it. Yet, he is happy to see us. 

“Ragnar has always trusted Ecbert and that Athelstan, he was a fool to do so. I never thought you would follow,” Floki commented. 

“I stand firm and I stand with my Gods!” I said, firmly. 

Floki nodded humbly, “Your success is no doubt credited by the Gods!” “I never thought I would say this, but I’m proud of you, and I know Ragnar is!”