And all your dollies have friends, thought she deserved no less than she'd give

The fallout from leaking all their intel was, unsurprisingly, intense.  Their headquarters was gone, any agents in the field went into hiding or tried to get back to the States.  They were treated like terrorists, feared and hated.  Because of HYDRA.  It made her angry, and she decided to do something else she had not done before – speak out.  She had always done as she was told, served the KGB and then SHIELD loyally without question.  But now, her covers were blown and she couldn't do what she always had.  Time to try something else.

So she put on her best suit (when had she last worn a suit?) and went to Capitol Hill to correct their misconceptions about their organization.  Fury's death was mysterious, rumors of it being faked were flying, and the way he had run things was called into question.  There was no one else to speak for them, no one more official than she was.  Except Maria Hill.

"Nat, you shouldn't stay here for long," Maria said to her.

Natasha didn't ask how she'd found her, in this cheap hotel, while she decided what to do next.  "I know," she replied, not glancing up.

"But we need you."

Taking a deep breath, she stopped reading the paper and made eye contact with the woman who was arguably her superior.  "For what?"

Maria scanned the room, expression carefully closed, but she could see the disappointment in her current situation.  "SHIELD is gone.  They think we were all HYDRA."

She snorted.  "And you're saying we weren't?"

"Fury wasn't."

"They think he's dead."

"Which is the only reason the media hasn't been reporting on his terroristic past that they should have seen all along.  It's only a matter of time, if we don't do anything," Maria explained.

Pursing her lips, she stared down at the paper in her hands.  "What can we do?"

"I've been summoned to speak in front of a Congressional task force.  I may not be Deputy Director anymore, but I owe SHIELD that.  I owe Fury that.  And so do you."

Maria was so cool, so calm, all of the time.  Natasha usually was, too, but she jumped to her feet at that.  "Do I?  When I didn't merit a call or even a sign that he wasn't dead?  You knew what it did to me," she snapped.

"I couldn't tell you, and you know that!" Maria insisted, flinching at Natasha's reaction.

Since she'd gotten a response from Maria, she calmed down a little.  "I've lost everything, Maria.  I gave SHIELD my life, what am I supposed to do now?"

Maria gave her a small smile.  "You've always been adaptable, Romanoff.  I'm sure you will be fine.  Better than the rest of us, in fact.  But I need you here.  Everyone else is gone, you're an Avenger.  They'll listen to you."

"What do you expect them to do?  Say SHIELD was just misunderstood and we can all go back to work?" she suggested snidely.

The smile faded, and Maria frowned at her.  "Don't be petty, Natasha.  I know you're upset.  But think of our agents who are still out there.  Whose lives are in real danger because of what we did.  Think about Barton."

Without thinking, Natasha slapped her across the face.  Maria gave her no reaction, and she forced herself to calm down.  "You know where he is."

"Yes.  He's safe, for now.  But we can't get him out until things cool down.  Please, Natasha, we need you."

"Fine."

The questions were understandably aggressive and pointed.  Their interrogation strategies were not as effective as her own, of course, but she found herself getting angrier and angrier as the hearing continued.