Chapter 4

Bryson studied the man before them, recognizing him instantly. He let out a laugh himself, in disbelief. What were the odds?

"Jason? No way!" He went for a handshake, but Jason pulled him in for a quick hug instead.

"I knew you'd be a survivor!" Jason said, positively beaming at him. "What fun is the zombie apocalypse without Bryson Underwood?" He laughed, punching him on the arm.

Bryson could feel Paige's stare boring into him, demanding answers. Of course, none of his friends had ever met Jason Riggs before. He had a lot of explaining to do.

"Jason, I want you to meet my friends. This is-"

"Paige Montgomery." Paige says as she cuts him off, reaching out to shake Jason's hand. Some of his elation at meeting his old friend faded when his eyes lingered on Paige a little too long for his liking, looking a little too friendly.

Jealousy was not an emotion he was familiar with.

"And this is my brother Zach, and his friend Evie." Bryson finishes, easing his arm around Paige's waist possessively, before turning to his friends.

"Jason and I were in the same platoon. We fought side by side for four years." Jason nodded his agreement, not missing Bryson's not-so-subtle hint about Paige. She was his.

"So I'm guessing you guys heard our Broadcast?"

"Yeah. We're looking for Lemuria."

"Well, brother," Jason says, "You're in the right place. Follow me."

Fort Sierra, or Lemuria, as it was now called, was surrounded by high metal barred fences encompassing the whole property. Bryson had been right about the lookout posts- he spotted one about every mile down the fence. He wondered if they had enough men to occupy them all. Just how many survivors were there?

"Over there's the runway," Jason points out the long asphalt path by the plane hangars as they drive by. "That side of the base is mostly office buildings. Alot of our buildings are boarded up right now but the library is still open. Then we have the residential area. We haven't gotten the grid back up so there's no power or plumbing yet, but it's getting there."

Bryson was surprised how nice the houses were that lined the streets, looking like a quaint little neighborhood. People milled around outside in their lawns, as if they didn't have a care in the world.

"This is amazing." Paige sighs, a look of awe crossing her features. She was enamored by this place and all that it offered, and Bryson had himself imagining their future together.

"How many people live here?" He asks, speaking the question that was on each of their minds.

"We have a little over fifty so far. Most of us are military and our families. Only a handful have showed up because of the broadcasts, but we're betting that's because there's not a lot of access to radios."

"I see."

Jason looks like he's about to say something else, but changes his mind.

"Elle? Would you mind taking these three and getting them set up in a home? Me and Bryson need to have a talk. We've got a lot of catching up to do."

Elle, who was tending to a small flower garden in front of the house they'd stopped in front of, smiled brightly.

"Sure! Are you guys planning to stay long?" She asks Paige, and Bryson is unable to hear her response as they head off down the street.

Jason's smile fades as he turns to Bryson, making him nervous. He knew that look- that's how he always used to look when he delivered bad news.

"Listen, there's somethin' I gotta tell you about this place that I didn't want to say in front of your friends." He starts, not making eye contact. "You're going to find out pretty soon that nobody gets to stay in Lemuria for free." His words sent Bryson's stomach dropping. Oh no. This can't be good.