Untitled Part 14

Bryson looked at Lemuria in a new kind of light now that he knew what really went on behind those walls. At first, when they'd just entered the city, he'd been all for the thought of safety in numbers behind it's towering metal fences. Now, after everything he'd been through the lost few months, he could only look on with disdain.

In fact, he hated himself for leaving Zach and Paige here, now that he knew what kind of man Victor was. Sneaky and conniving was the nice way to put it. And although they'd been promised safety, he wondered, not for the first time, if Victor had really meant that or if it had been a lie.

Please, let them be okay.

If anything had happened to them while he was away, he would never forgive himself. 

Jess had separated from the group, heading towards the front gates of Lemuria. Soon, she would be spotted and greeted the same way he had been all those months ago.

Meanwhile, he and Travis were heading around back, to the weak link in the fence. Travis had sketched another map for Jess, marking the spot where they would be in case something went wrong and they were unable to leave the base. He had no idea what had passed since he'd left; for all he knew, they weren't even here anymore. But he'd asked Paige to wait for him. He had faith in her.

Situating themselves in the woods, they had a clear view of the fence, but nothing else. And now comes the hard part: Waiting.

******

Paige glares out the window at the guards surrounding their 'house'. It was more of a prison nowadays, her house arrest was slowly driving her mad even though it had only been a few days. She wasn't sure which was worse; the fact that Bryson was out there, or the fact that she couldn't do anything about it. Helplessness was not a feeling she was fond of.

"Are you going to watch them all day?" Zach drawls, staring at the ceiling from his spot on the couch. The guards stare back at her like statues, their expressions blank and uncaring.

"Maybe. I want to know what time they switch shifts. So far its been different every night."

"Maybe that's because they know you're watching."

She sighs, shutting the curtain tight over the window. "It's not like I have anything better to do." They'd been left with nothing to entertain themselves, aside from a few books, but she was far too antsy to sit still long enough to read one. All of their weapons had been confiscated; even their silverware from the kitchen. Every once in awhile, someone would stop by with meals, providing plastic forks for them to use. Apparently, they couldn't be trusted with utensils. Rightfully so.

Zach sits up straight, causing her to jump with the sudden movement. Her nerves were stretched tight, and he'd been unmoving for so long... she brushed it off. "When do you think Jason will be back?"

She scrunches her nose in distaste at the mention of him. "I don't know. Why?"

"Hopefully it's soon."

She follows him as he makes his way down the hallway, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around his hand as he heads for the bathroom. Normally, she wouldn't follow him there, but she wanted answers. Why would he say something so cryptic and then walk off like that? 

"Why? What's going on?" He doesn't close the door behind him, so she leans on the doorjamb. "Zach..?"

Out of nowhere, he punches the mirror with incredible force, sending shards of glass raining down with an ear shattering crash. She's sure the noise would draw the attention of the guards; but after moments of tense silence, Zach gingerly picks up one of the shards. The edge glistens in the light, razor sharp and deadly if need be. Suddenly, realization kicked in.