Chapter 3

After the battle....

Anis: Well that was easy. 

Rapi: We're Rapi and Anis. Thanks for the assistance. 

Marian: Of course but why did you ask to take the Commander up to the surface all of a sudden? So....

Anis: I'm afraid so. Our former Commander is dead. 

Flukey and Marian had surprised looks on their faces as she continued.

Anis: He tried to shoot the Raptures with a human weapon, hurling obscenities at them all the while.

Flukey: But...human weapons do next to nothing against a Rapture.

Anis: Yeah. He knew that as well. 

Marian: You two failed in your duties. You let him die. 

Anis: You're wrong! We've always been willing to protect the Commander no matter what, even if it meant sacrificing ourselves! But just because we're willing to put our lives on the line doesn't mean he'll always be safe. 

Marian just stared. 

Anis: Alright. I was just saying. 

Rapi: Could you tell us your name?

Flukey: It's Flukey.

Rapi: Anis. 

Anis: I'm going to do a little digging. Let me see....

Anis searched for a moment. 

Anis: Hmm? 

Rapi: What's wrong? 

Anis: This Commander is a total rookie. 

Rapi: What? 

Anis: They just graduated from the military academy yesterday. 

Rapi: Hm. Let's move to the commercial street. It's too dangerous here. 

Flukey: Right. 

With that, the group moved onward to the commercial street. 

Rapi: Did you really just take up your post yesterday?

Flukey: Yes I did. I hope that's not too much of an issue. 

Rapi: How can a complete amateur be sent to replace a Commander killed in the line of duty? What were they thinking? 

Marian took offense to this and looked at Rapi.

Marian: What? 

Rapi: Nothing. Anyway you're the Commander of this squad from here on out. If you don't have any objections, I'd like to go our current course of action. 

Flukey: Please do. 

Rapi: Okay, I'll brief you. 46 hours ago, we lost communication with a Nikke squad that was patrolling this area. They went completely dark, so we decided to send out a search party. During our search, an accident resulted in the death of our now-former Commander.

Anis: The only problem is that the deceased Commander was the one who knew the coordinates to our destination. you wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you? 

Flukey: No. Sorry. 

Anis: I figured as much. 

Then Marian spoke up. 

Marian: I know the coordinates. 

Anis: Yeah, I figured that too. Huh? 

Marian: That information was input into my system when I was sent out on this operation. I'll take the lead. Follow me. 

Anis: Oh uh okay.

Marian: and you, are you called Rapi? 

Rapi: Hm? 

Marian: You failed to protect your former Commander. Who are you to call someone else a novice? They're putting their lives on the line just like we are. If I ever hear you talk like that again, it'll be the last time. 

The tone in Marian's voice sent a chill up Flukey's spine. 

He never once thought that Marian was capable of being so stern and menacing but now that he's seen it, it made a him really uneasy. 

Not because of what Marian would do to him cause he knows she'd never hurt him but because of what she'd do to Rapi and even Anis. 

Anis: Whoa, let's settle down! No need to get all riled up.

Flukey: Anis is right Marian. It's nothing to get upset over. 

Anis: Yeah the Commander's right. 

Rapi: Fine, I misspoke. I'm sorry. 

Marian: Don't apologize to me. Apologize to the Commander. 

Rapi then looked towards Flukey.

Rapi: I'm sorry. 

Flukey: Ah it's alright. You're not exactly wrong in me being an amateur. Combat simulation and real-life combat are two completely different things after all. 

Rapi: Hm.

Anis: He didn't get himself into a tizzy? Definitely not an ordinary Commander. 

Flukey: I'll take that as a compliment. Now let's keep moving.