Overworked

A tear fell from my cheek onto the paperwork, smudging my signature. I sighed and closed the file, moving my chair back and wiping my face off. I needed a hug so badly right now, but I wasn't going to walk out of my office and just announce that and hope someone came running. If I told JJ she would understand, she always does. That's one of the reasons as to why I married her.

I heard a knock on the door and I quickly wiped all the tears away, taking a deep breath before answering. "Come in." The door opened and I saw that it was JJ. I let out a sigh of relief. "Thank God it's you." She laughed softly.

"Is everything ok?"

"I don't know." She walked up in front of me so I had to look up at her. I stood up and our faces were inches apart.

"What's wrong?" I opened my arms and she smiled. "You need a hug?" I nodded and she put her arms around me, enveloping me into a warm comforting hug. She rubbed my back and rocked us back and forth. She didn't say anything, knowing if she were to ask anything right now I would just tell her I was fine and then end of story.

After a couple minutes I pulled away and she held my face in my hands. "What's wrong honey?"

"Just stay here please." I leaned forward and rested my head on her chest.

"Baby what's wrong?" She repeated.

"I can't do all of this. Ever since we took that week long vacation I've had so much paperwork to catch up with, and Morgan keeps giving me his paperwork so he can go hang out with Savannah, and I keep getting calls from people from the Navy and the Pentagon and the CIA, asking me to send them reports and I can't fucking do all of it."

"Take a deep breath, calm down."

"I can't calm down." I lifted my head up off of her chest and ran my hands through my hair. "And I can't fucking sleep because all I'm thinking about is how much work I have to do the next day and hoping we don't have a case so I have time to finish it. It's really hard to sleep when I'm anxious."

"Shh babe, look at me." She put her hand on my waist and I turned to look at her. "You're allowed to take breaks, you're allowed to breathe, if that's what you need take a minute, a day, a week, however long you need."

"But I can't do that with this job." I whispered, knowing if I spoke then my voice would break.

"Let me do some of it. You just relax, and I'll do it for a couple hours." She sat down in my chair and took one of the files.

"Jayje you don't have to do that." She put her index finger up, telling me to stop.

"I'm good at paperwork, let me do my thing." I smiled softly and pulled up a chair next to her.

I watched her as she concentrates for an hour. She occasionally turned her head to kiss me but I kissed her cheek or temple every so often too. "Ok, one pile done."

"Thank you so much."

"I'm not done honey."

"But-"

"Shh, let me focus."

"You don't have to do all my work for me."

"It's stressing you out and I hate seeing you stressed out, so yes, I am going to do your work for you."

"At least take a little break."

"Ok." She smiled and kissed me. "What do you think is the most affective break routine?"

"Mm...cuddles."

"I agree." She picked me up and took me over to the couch. "How long of a break do you need?"

"Forever."

"Staying like this forever would be nice wouldn't it?" She hummed as she played with my hair.

"It really would be." The door opened and I sighed. "But of course we can't."

"Hey guys." I heard Emily's voice and I turned my head to look at her. "Are you two ok?"

"Sort of." I sighed.

"Ok, well, sorry to intrude, but I just came to drop off some more paperwork for you y/n." I groaned and buried my head in JJ's chest. "Are you sure everything's ok?"

"Would it be possible for you to give the paperwork to someone else?" JJ asked, still playing with my hair. "Y/n's been working a lot recently-"

"Of course, I'll give it to Morgan, I know he's giving his work to you. I'll tell him to stop, it's not fair to you."

"Thank you Em." I said, lifting my head up to smile at her.

"Of course." She shut the door and JJ kissed the top of my head.

"I love you baby." She whispered.

"I love you too."