Chapter 3

This sets me into motion I'm quickly picking up a crying Sofia and grabbing Carl's hand as I run dragging them out of the clearing as Carl yells for mom. I practically run into mom as I run with them, mom quickly pulling Carl and me into a bone crushing hug. Carol quickly does the same with Sofia as the guys run by and into the clearing.

"Oh, my babies..." Mom whispers covering our faces with worried kisses.

"Mom... stop that." Carl grumbles pushing her face away.

"Nothing bit you? Nothing scratched you?" She asks worried.

"We're fine. It didn't even get close to us." I comfort.

"It's the first one we've had up here. They never come this far up the mountain."  Dale sighs after they cut the head off the beast.

"Well, they're running out of food in the city, that's what." Jim huffs.

We hear a branch snap and we all quickly look about scared the ones with weapons holding them up ready to attack if necessary. But then we see Daryl come around a bolder with his crossbow and we all let out a breath of relief.

"Oh, Jesus." Shane sighs putting down his gun that was pointed at Daryl's head.

"Son of a bitch. That's my deer! Look at it. All gnawed on by this..." Daryl pauses to kick the body of the beast. "Filthy, disease-bearing, motherless poxy bastard!" The way Daryl was talking you would've thought it killed his momma not just some deer.

"Calm down, son. That's not helping." Dale says sighing.

"What do you know about it old man? Why don't you take that stupid hat and go back to 'On Golden Pond'?" Daryl says angrily causing to chuckle slightly before Shane gives me a look and I cover it up with a cough. "I've been tracking this deer for miles." Daryl sighs pulling his arrows out of the ate up deer.

"Gonna drag it back to camp, cook us up some venison. What do you think? Do you think we can cut around this chewed up part right here?" He asks poking at the deer.

"I would not risk that." Shane says shaking his head.

"That's a damn shame. I got some squirrel—about a dozen or so. That'll have to do." He says sighing.

Great squirl again, I think to myself disappointed. All we ever have is squirl and rabbit. I'm standing there pouting when the head of the ghoul starts snapping its head. Its decapitated head might I add.

"Oh God." Amy mutters horrified as she clings to her sister.

I gag looking away quickly as it continues to snap its bloody teeth.

"Come on, people. What the hell?" Daryl grumbles as he loads his crossbow. He aims and shoots the thing the arrow going right into what's left of its rotting eye   and he walks over pulling it out with a sickening slurp sound making me cringe.

He starts walking Shane and Rick following closely behind him with the rest of us trailing a little ways away.

"Merle! Merle! Get your ugly ass out here! I got us some squirrel! Let's stew 'em up." Daryl calls out as he walks throwing the line of squirls down.

"Daryl, just slow up a bit. I need to talk to you." Shane calls out.

"About what?" Daryl scoffs.

"About Merle. There was a—There was a problem in Atlanta." Shane says sighing.

"He dead?" Daryl asks his head snapping up. He doesn't look scared or sad or angry or nothing like I thought he would be.

"We're not sure." Shane sighs resting his hands on his hips.