PROLOGUE

- 2 months earlier -

Marinette was late. Again.

She was just finishing a design in her sketchbook when she checked the time and realised that class had started five minutes ago.

Grabbing her bag, she ran across the street and into the school building, almost crashing into Alya, her new best friend who also happened to be late.

Thankfully, Miss Bustier hadn't arrived yet, but Marinette had bigger things to worry about.

Some unfamiliar blonde was crouched beside her seat, facing away from her.

"Um, excuse- ew!!" Marinette's confused question turned into a disgusted exclamation at the sight of someone who could only be that rich friend Chloe had bragged about, picking at a piece of gum that was stuck to her seat.

"What are you doing?" She screeched, admittedly feeling hostile towards the newcomer. 5 minutes in and she already had a bad feeling.

"I- Um, I was just..." he stammered, his voice drowned out by Chloe cackling in the row behind.

Mentally making the connection, Marinette crossed her arms and emitted a humourless huff of laughter.

"Okay good job you three, very funny." She said venomously.

"See what I mean Adrikins? She's so fun to mess with!" Chloe laughed, her blonde ponytail bouncing with the movement.

The strange blonde boy - Adrien - gave up on trying to defend himself and dejectedly flopped back into his seat, watching Marinette place a handful of tissues over the gum and taking extra care not to sit on it.

Miss Bustier chose that moment to enter the classroom, apologising for being late and preparing to start the lesson.

"I feel like I know him from somewhere," Marinette murmured, sneaking a look at the new boy as she took out her tablet.

Alya turned to Marinette, showing an article on her phone.

Marinette took the phone and scrolled through the article with wide eyes.

"He's Adrien Agreste?" She whispered, "As in, son of my fave fashion designer Gabriel Agreste?"

Alya nodded, "Daddies boy, teen supermodel, and Chloe's buddy? HA forget it,"

Unlike Marinette, Alya didn't even try to keep her voice down, the end of her sentence reaching the ears of a confused Adrien, who was mourning the loss of his public school fantasies.

"Why don't you tell them it was Chloe's idea?" The guy sitting next to him asked.

Adrien lifted his head to look at his deskmate, "I've known Chloe since we were kids, I wouldn't throw her under the bus like that...besides, she's my only friend," he muttered the last bit to himself.

The other boy took pity on this lonely, confused rich kid. Sticking out his hand, he proudly announced, "I'm Nino! And it's time for you to make some new friends dude!"

-

"Adrien Agreste?"

Silence followed, with the whole class looking toward the bewildered newcomer expectantly.