The Old Tavern

In the dimly lit corner of a bustling tavern within the depths of Willowsfall, an outskirt town of the kingdom Celestria, a lone figure sat in the corner of the room, shrouded in shadows and mystery. Edith Adams or known as her alias Viper, a vigilante known only to the desperate and the damned, was a woman of an enigma. Her forest green eyes, as sharp as a hunter's arrow, scanned the room, ever watchful for signs of malevolence. Her slender fingers tapped the worn wooden surface of the table as she contemplated her next move. Deciding to momentarily ease her vigilance, she beckoned the bartender with a subtle wave, ready to order. "Whiskey sour, on the rocks." her voice had a low, commanding tone that hinted at her authority. The bartender nodded, recognizing her as a regular customer known for her exceptional skills with the twin daggers she always carried at her side. He prepared her drink with precise measurements as he has worked this job for many years. After setting her drink down in front of her, he swiftly went to the backroom near the bartending area.

Unbeknownst to the patrons around her, Edith was not just a vigilante fighting for justice. She was a force to be reckoned with, her actions fueled by a deep-rooted desire to rid the world of evil. But as the nights grew darker and her battles more intense, Edith found herself teetering on the edge of her morality. She grasped the drink in front of her and gently stirred it, she brought it up to her lips and took a sip of the sour drink, a small smile appearing as she was pleased with the taste. A few moments passed as she occasionally sipped her drink and lightly tapped the side of her glass, a figure appeared in the corner of her eye as they approached. "Took you long enough Fate." she jokingly said as she turned her gaze to the blonde man, watching as he took a seat next to her. He smiled as he ordered himself a strawberry daiquiri. They both sat in silence for a moment as they watched the drink being made. The bartender placed the drink in front of Fate and said in a husky tone, "Enjoy." He walked away to tend to other customers. As he left, Fate spoke up, "Now, we can talk." He said calmly and quietly towards the girl. Fate leaned forward, his voice dropping to a hushed tone as he spoke to Edith. After taking a sip of his daiquiri, he cleared his throat and said, "Now, listen carefully. I've got some valuable information for you."

Edith's eyes widened with anticipation as she leaned in closer, eager to hear what he had to say. "You remember 10?" Fate asked, his voice barely above a whisper. Edith nodded, her expression serious. "Yeah, 10 and the rest of their posse," she confirmed.

Fate's eyes narrowed, a mischievous smile playing on his lips. He pulled out a plain-looking playing card, revealing an alleyway depicted on it. "Well, I've got some intel on where he's gonna be tonight," he revealed, his voice dripping with intrigue. Edith's curiosity heightened as she focused on the card, her mind racing with possibilities.

"But that's not all," Fate continued, his voice low and captivating. "There's a bigger deal going down tomorrow night, and I think you might want to be there."

Edith's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What kind of deal?" she asked, her voice filled with curiosity and a hint of caution.

Fate leaned back, taking another sip of his drink before answering. "A deal that could change everything," he replied cryptically, his eyes fixed on the swirling patterns of condensation on his glass. "The kind of deal that could shift the balance of power in this city."

Edith's eyes widened, sensing the weight behind Fate's words. She leaned forward, her curiosity piqued. "What kind of deal are we talking about here? And who's involved?"

Fate's lips had a small frown and he closed his eyes as he spoke. "Edith, if 10 gets this deal off the ground, the numbers will run the drug trade in this town. They'll have control over the entire operation."

Edith's mind raced, imagining the implications of such a deal. The numbers, a notorious gang with a reputation for violence and ruthlessness, taking control of the drug trade would undoubtedly lead to chaos. She had seen the devastation caused by their operations firsthand, and the thought of them gaining even more power sent a chill down her spine.

"But why would the numbers even consider making such a deal?" Edith asked, her voice tinged with concern.

Fate's gaze met hers, his eyes filled with weariness. "Money has a way of clouding people's judgment, Edith," he replied. "The numbers are desperate for a quick payday, and this deal promises to deliver just that. But it goes beyond money. Once they gain control over the drug trade, they may expand their influence into the weapons trade and other illicit activities. It's a dangerous power play, and they're willing to take that risk."

Edith's concern deepened as she realized the gravity of the situation. The numbers, known for their ruthless tactics and disregard for human life, were on the verge of gaining control over not just the drug trade, but potentially the entire underworld in Willowsfall. The consequences for the town would be catastrophic.

"We can't let that happen," Edith declared, her voice shaking a bit. "We need to stop them, Fate, no matter what it takes."

Fate nodded, appreciating Edith's resolve. "I agree, Edith. We can't let the numbers wreak havoc on this city any longer. They've caused enough pain and suffering."

As they exchanged a determined look, a glimmer of hope flickered in Edith's eyes. She had a plan, a risky one, but their only chance was to bring down the numbers. "Fate, I have a plan," Edith revealed, her voice filled with caution. "It won't be easy, and it carries its fair share of danger, but I believe it's our best shot at taking down 10 and, hopefully, the rest of the numbers once and for all."

Fate leaned forward, his eyes focused intently on Edith. "I'm listening," he said, his voice filled with anticipation. He knew that Edith's plans were always daring and well thought out, and he trusted her instincts. Edith took a deep breath, her mind racing with the details of her plan. "We need to gather solid evidence against 10 and the numbers," she began. "We have to expose their operations to the authorities and the public."

Fate's eyes sparkled with determination. "We'll need to be strategic," he cautioned. "We can't afford any mistakes. The numbers have eyes everywhere." Edith nodded, her mind already formulating a plan of action. "We'll have to gather information discreetly, using our contacts in the city's underbelly. If you can reach out to one of your informants, we can figure out the whereabouts of the other numbers and potentially find their base of operations."

Fate's expression turned serious. "That won't be easy," he warned. "The numbers are notorious for their secrecy and loyalty. But it's definitely possible, though it may take me some time, Edith."

Edith nodded, understanding the challenge ahead. "We don't have much time, Fate. Tomorrow, you and I will go and capture 10. I'll handle the fighting, and I'll need you as the getaway driver."

Fate's face tightened, but he knew what needed to be done. "Once we have him, I'll do my best to convince that bastard to give us valuable information," Edith said, her voice filled with determination.

A cold look flashed in Edith's eyes, and Fate shivered, he knew what needed to be done but that didn't mean he liked it. "Okay, come back here tomorrow night," Fate said, his unease evident."I don't want to witness what you'll do to him. Is that cool?"

Edith's expression softened, realizing the impact her actions had on Fate. "That's fine, Fate. No worries. I'll see you tomorrow," she replied, her voice filled with reassurance. Deep down, she knew she had to do whatever it took to bring down the numbers and put an end to their reign of terror. As Fate watched Edith walk away, he couldn't shake off the sense of unease that lingered within him.