Abdullah Ansari of Herat

Abu Ismail Abdullah ibn Muhammad al-Harawi was born in the year 396 Al-Hijri, in the town of Herat during the era of Ghaznavid rule in Afghanistan. He was born to the Al-Ansari family, which meant that he was a descendant of Abu Ayyub al-Ansari, the great companion of the Prophet ﷺ who fought in Istanbul. But he was also of Pashtun descent, from his mother's side.

In his teenage years, Al-Harawi learned Hadith and Tafsir from the great Yahya ibn Ammar al-Sajazi. Yahya ibn Ammar had a big impact on his students, especially Al-Harawi. One of his teachings was to be against the innovations that the Ash'airah practiced, such as Kalam. The concepts of Ash'airah were deviant, as they introduced classical Greek philosophy into Islamic beliefs. Fortunately, Yahya's teachings remained in Al-Harawi's mind, as the latter became extremely opposed to the deviant and extremist beliefs of the Ash'airah.

Al-Harawi was a follower of the madhab of Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal, and was one of the Hanabilah present in lands foreign to Persia or Arabia. When he started his career as a scholar, writer, and teacher, he was very well-respected. For example, he became known as the Shaykh al-Islam of Herat. Al-Harawi adhered strictly to the Qur'an and Sunnah. But there were people who opposed his teachings, such as the Ash'airah who were slowly spreading in Herat. Recently, the Ash'ari scholar Ibn Fawrak had lost a debate with the King over aqidah, and this made more Ash'aris move over to Herat to spread their theology and brainwash the locals. During Al-Harawi's time, a sizeable population of Ash'ari scholars existed, one which reported him to the visting Sultan, Alp Arslan.

The incident between him and the visiting Sultan's minister was well-known from Imam Ibn Tahir. The latter documented the incident. A group of Ash'ari and Maturidi scholars had complained to Alp Arslan about Al-Harawi's creed, calling it “anthropomorphistic”. So Alp Arslan's minister, Ali ibn Ishaq, summoned Al-Harawi and ordered him to participate in a debate with these scholars. Imam Al-Harawi said, “I will debate what I have with me of my aqidah, and the origins of my aqidah, here in my two hands.” The minister asked what these origins were, and Al-Harawi responded that, in his right hand was the Holy Qur'an, while in his left was the Sahih of Al-Bukhari and Muslim, which compiled a series of traditions from the Messenger of Allah ﷺ. The other scholars were silent, they could not oppose him due to his criteria.

Imam al-Harawi spent a lot of his time writing books, teaching his students and disciples, and most importantly, invoking and worshipping Allah. He had a great deal of worship, and he often had little to no sleep. Such behaviour, was so amazing and awe-inspiring, it made him respected by even Maturidis like the Naqshbandi scholar Abu Yaqub Yusuf al-Hamadani.

Imam al-Harawi lived until old age. He passed away in the year 481 Al-Hijri, and was buried in the Qaziyari-Gah graveyard of Herat. Some of his disciples would be buried around him as well, in later years. Al-Harawi was not only known for his asceticism, but also known for his stances against innovators and the people of philosophy. After his death, he was known as Khawaja Abdullah Ansari of Herat.