Chapter Eleven

June...

"Graduation day." Harry squeezed my hand.

I smiled. "Yeah, I can't believe it. It all went by so fast."

"Are you excited?" he asked.

"I really am."

"Just think.. in August, it'll be you at NYU."

"And you?"

He looked down and then at me. "I'm going to be right by your side."

"You're going?" I asked, my heart racing. I could feel the pressure on my cheeks as I smiled wide.

He nodded. "Of course I'm going."

Harry stopped the car, parked, and we got out. We walked into the building. I turned to Harry. "You know, I've walked these halls a thousand times... and I just can't seem to remember why I ever despised them. I'm going to miss them. I'm going to miss the overwhelming rush of people in the hall during school, and the emptiness of them at night when there are only practices going on. And then you know, you came into my life, and suddenly these halls became my favorite place... and yet, I still hated them."

"Maybe you loved them so much that you were terrified of how it would feel to leave. So you decided to hate them."

I smiled. "Maybe."

"I'm going to miss seeing you every day in the halls."

He nodded. "You act like we're never going to see each other again. We're still going to college together."

"I know, it's just that, I'm scared, you know? There are so many people, and it's hard knowing that we'll both meet different people. We'll both be with different people. I'm just afraid that-"

But he cut me off. "Hey, don't even think like that, okay? Nothing's going to get in between us. Not anyone. No girl, no guy, nothing."

I nodded. "Yeah, you're right. I used to think that the things I did in high school, the grades, the awards, the trophies, the plays, the clubs, you know, that they would define me in life. And it's just not true. I was so scared that I would leave this school with nothing to show, and even though I won't have a huge plaque in my honor at this school.. i mean, I think I left a pretty significant mark here."

He kissed my lips, and it was warm and soft, and when he pulled away, he spoke. "You have. And best of all, you left a significant mark with me."

I couldn't stop myself from aw-ing. "Aww, I love you so much, Harry."

He smiled. "I love you too. C'mon we should probably get going. Everyone's heading outside."

I walked to my locker quickly, and looked inside. "Yeah, hold on. I just want to see something, really quick." And I looked inside my locker. I looked at the back of the locker, where my initials were from freshman orientation when we found out our lockers. I ran my fingers over the carvings and smiled.

"I'm so grateful to have met you," Harry said.

I had my hand on the door of my locker, and Harry placed his hand over mine. And we closed the locker together.

"This is going to happen again," he said with a smile.

"I know."

~~~

"Now that everyone has been given their diplomas with awards, I would like to say congratulations to the class of 2015. The last award is a new one. It's an award that was funded by the Lovato Scholarship Program, and it's given to the student that has shown the most humanity and the most genuine soul thought their year or years here. I am not only proud to present this award, but I am honored to present this award today to Diana Winters - NYU."