Chapter twelve: Ice-cream is not dinner (but who cares?)

During the train ride the slight churning of his stomach completely fades, which he greatly appreciates considering that he is meeting for brunch. Feeling better, he finally gathers the courage to check his phone to see the reactions to him being late. He stares at the screen for longer than it is strictly necessary before he unlocks it. They don't care at all. In fact, along with the several messages with varying degrees of incorrect spelling he reads that Sato is going to be 15 minutes late.

Shoto gets there at 11:47, not even 20 minutes late.

When Tokoyami opens the door he looks done with the world, but he still gives Shoto a small smile. In the cozy living room Sato is still dropping his things on a chair as he just got there. Ojiro, Koda and Mashirao are in the kitchen preparing the food. Sato immediately joins them to make some pancakes while Tokoyami hops onto the counter and starts playing music.

Despite how appetizing the pancakes sound (and smell), Shoto is giving all his attention to Shoji, who is making the scrambled eggs. He would love to help, but considering how his last attempt at making an omelet went he probably shouldn't touch anything. He is content to just watch and try to learn anyways. His staring must have been more obvious than he thought, because Shoji turns to look at him.

The taller boy is holding the pan in one hand, the spatula in another, he is cracking an egg open with another two and has a second pair of eyes at the end of two arms to watch the food while he looks at Shoto. Shoto is shuffling awkwardly under the other's stare and he can;t help but think that having so many arms is cheating.

"Do you want to do it?" Shoji finally asks.

"I.. ehr... can't cook?" Shoto squeaks softly. He can feel his cheeks and ear grow warm as he answers. He thinks he could make the blush go away with his quirk. But they are his friends so he doesn't care enough to try.

"It is scrambled eggs. You don't need to know how to cook to make scrambled eggs" Shoji answers.

Shoto strongly disagrees. His experience with a carbonized omelet proves that he should stay away from making food beyond heating it in the microwave. However, it seems like disagreeing was not an option as the bigger boy ushers him towards the stove and hands him the spatula and the pan.

"This is not a good idea" Shoto mutters, looking shell shocked. Shoji ignores the comment but he can see Tokoyami giggling out of the corner of his eye. What a traitor.

Shoto is standing in front of the stove as stiff as a board. He is giving all his attention to the scrambled eggs that are getting cooked in the pan, now by him. He is so focused on not carbonizing them that he doesn't notice that the attention of the rest of his friends is now on him. They are trying and failing to muffle their laughs, dumbfounded by the amount of concentration he is putting into such a simple task. They have never seen him focus so much on a single task; not in math or physics class, not in english, not even in hero training.

"You have to stir them or they will get burnt" Shoji says softly over his shoulder.

Shoto had been thinking single mindedly about the eggs and is startled by the sudden interruption. He jumps a little in surprise and his eyes widen when he processes the new information. He is now diligently stirring the eggs but he looks every few seconds at Shoji to make sure that he is doing everything correctly.

"They are done" Tells him Shoji nodding.

This is all the prompting Shoto needs to steadily lift the pan and tilt it carefully over a bowl while he uses the spatula to push the eggs. They are creamy and fluffy with a golden yellow color. They smell good.