Chapter thirteen: The sports festival

Shoto Todoroki rose from his bed, the cool morning air brushing against his face. Today is a day like no other – the prestigious sports festival awaited him, a stage where young heroes would showcase their abilities and compete for glory. As he gets ready for the event, all he can feel is dread and anxiety filling his mind.

Descending the stairs of the Todoroki household, Shoto is met with the sight of his father, waiting stoically by the door. The chauffeur standing nearby, ready to drive them to the sports festival venue. The tension in the air is palpable, and Shoto can't shake off the unease that gripped him.

Endeavor acknowledges his son with a nod, and together they step into the sleek black car. The chauffeur closes the door behind them, and the vehicle begins its journey towards the sports festival. The silence in the car is deafening, broken only by the hum of the engine and the occasional glances exchanged between father and son.

Shoto can barely keep himself from fidgeting, the extended exposure to his father in an enclosed space driving his anxiety and fear into unsuspected levels. However, it is that fear that keeps him still and stoic, knowing that anything that breaks the facade of a perfect little hero is considered a weakness. Weaknesses are not allowed and it has been a while since he was punished for one and he does not intend to break that streak.

After what feels like an eternity, Endeavor breaks the silence that has permeated the car since the beginning of the trip.

"You will win" Enji says stoically.

"Yes father" Shoto answers like he is expected to. There is no other correct answer.

The youngest Todoroki is well aware that his Endeavor's words were not those of encouragement from a parent to their child like they would be in any normal family. He also knows that they are not those of faith in someone's strength to motivate a beloved one. They are an order. They are a command he cannot disobey. They are a threat of pain and suffering should he fail to comply.

The sports festival, usually a source of excitement and camaraderie, now loomed ahead as a battleground for familial expectations. Shoto couldn't escape the fear that, no matter how well he performed, it might never be enough for his father.

The car pulls over and Shoto is extremely relieved of exiting and getting away from his father. He is focusing on walking at the maximum speed he can without making it look like he is running away. He has never felt this much relief upon entering UA as he does this time, when the feeling of Endeavor's piercing gaze upon the back of his head disappears as the doors close.

Shoto slowly makes his way to the locker rooms to give himself time to calm down after the nerve wracking car trip with his father. He puts on his well-practiced facade of the stoic perfect hero student, knowing that in a few minutes he is going to be observed and scrutinized by millions. Upon entering the locker rooms he sees that all of his classmates are already there and tries to discreetly make his way to his friend group.

"Shoto! Come here" Ojiro nervously waves him over when he gets near them.

This turns everyone's attention to the younger boy, as he had arrived barely a few minutes before the event started. Everyone in the room is visibly anxious. Even those that seem more confident are just covering up the nervousness, such us Bakugo overplaying his superiority complex or Iida sticking to rules even more strictly. However, Shoto is as impassive as always which gets him some unwanted attention.

"Wow, you look so calm Todoroki" Uraraka exclaims suddenly.

Shoto is not really sure about how he is supposed to react to that. It was not a question so there is not anything to answer but Uraraka keeps staring at him as if she expects something. After a while of awkwardly standing in silence the girl continues her comment.