Chapter 2: Downfall

The agonizing screams can be heard from outside Salre's home, which awakens him. His window shows no sunlight, but rather...

Fire?

'What the hell is going on?'

He gets up, and peeks through his window, only to see the city from afar in flames, the houses near him in flames as well, and the fire is getting close to his home.

'I- what!?'

He quickly wakes himself up, and rushes to grab his bag and grab any valuables he may need. He puts on his clothes, including armor in case it's a raid, and his baldric, with his dagger to his side. He quickly rushes out, putting his small bag, the satchel, over his shoulders as he rushes out, quickly fleeing into the forest, and taking a dirt path to a nearby lake where he can take refuge.

...

...

...

About an hour goes by, and the only light he can see is the moonlight, and he starts pondering.

'I wonder if Mr. Freid and his family are ok...'

Mr. Freid is the only person he is truly close with, and doesn't really know anyone else.

...

...

...

Another thirty minutes go by, and the moonlight continues to shine, as Salre gets sleepy.

There is so much to take in, his home possibly being ruined, the one person in his life possibly gone... what does he do?

He arrives at the lake, its enormous. His mother had always told him to come here in case something were to happen in the city, and that this would be his safe haven. As a child, he came here a lot, played in the lake, learned to fish, and spent many summers here with his mother. Now, he's here again, nothing much has changed.

There was always a house near the opposite side of the lake, it was clearly occupied as he had always seen children from afar playing there, someone fishing, gardening, or even hunting.

The house isn't small at all, consisting of what seems to be two floors, a large garden both out back and front, and even it's own dock with two small boats. One wooden, the other? Too hard to tell.

It'll be a long walk, but he's desperate to go there. Anything to help him.

He's tired, but he continues walking, this time around the lake to get to the seemingly small home.

He thinks for a moment; what would have caused the fire?

He knows the city he lives in is easily hated by other city-states, because of their high population and strong power. Could be other reasons, he doesn't pay attention to that stuff.

'Does that mean we got invaded?' He wonders. If so, how come the church bells weren't rung? How come they weren't warned? How many people are dead?

The realization is hitting him- everything really IS gone. Sure, he lost his home. But EVERYTHING is gone now.

...

...

...?

He gets closer to the home, surprisingly the walk wasn't long.

The lights are on, not all of them, but some of them, yes.

He creeps up to the house, and peeks through the window. He knows he shouldn't, but he is.

He looks inside to a large living room, bigger than his whole "house", consisting of a large fireplace, with lots of plants, a big rug, with a large couch, and many paintings.