Prologue

Trapped? Free? I am free, physically anyway. Mentally, I'm stuck in this hope-shattering loop. But, I can't let myself plummet into despair. I can't cling to hope, either. Hope can always be broken.

"Are you okay?" That voice shattered my distressed thoughts. "Hello? Earth to Shuichi..." Ah. Shuichi. Shuichi Saihara. That's me. "Sorry. I was spacing out." I blurt. "Geez, Shuichi. Pull it together."

That's Maki Harukawa. She can be blunt at times, but you get used to it. "Don't be so harsh, Maki roll. We depend on him too much, anyway." I look over my shoulder. For a moment, I forgot my own friend was even there. Himiko Yumeno. Based on her appearance, you'd think she was an eleven year old girl. But I think she's gotten more mature since we first met.

After a moment, someone spoke. "Well then. We should go now." Maki pointed to the broken cage. This place is the worst place I have ever stepped foot in. I need to leave. But something inside of me wants to stay. For everyone we lost along the way. However, I am grateful that I don't have to leave alone.

"Shuichi, stop spacing out. Let's go." I never thought I'd hear those words. Still, I stepped forward, Himiko and Maki did the same. After all of the despair and hope that overlapped each other, we were able to see the next option.

Indifference.

(239 words)