Chapter Three

We barely dare to breathe as the door to Krampus's office opens.

A strand of red hair hangs, haphazard, in front of my eyes that I have no room to brush away. Friedrich's shoulder brushes stiffly against mine with each controlled rise and fall of his chest. The knife hangs between us.

"Thank you for coming here at such short notice, Lord Frost," slurs the Great Krampus.

I have always found the high pitch of his voice somewhat jarring, and now it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

"Of course. To what do I owe the pleasure?" The second voice is lower, colder.

I meet resistance from Friedrich as I peer through the crack to see into the room. Krampus is striding toward the fireplace. He's wearing a green, like his son, though he dons a large cloak and his messy black hair is tangled over its hood. His long tangled beard reaches his belt.

"I have a proposition for you," he says.

"I'm listening." Frost leans against the other side of the mantelpiece. I have never seen Frost in the flesh before—but I have heard people say he looks like he could be made of ice. I agree with the assessment.

His long hair is white and tied back from his chiseled features. There's a clear outline of muscles beneath his blue shirt, and something cold and statuesque about his demeanor.

"I would like us to form an alliance," says Krampus.

"My dear Krampus, we are already in an alliance. Three kings have ruled the Winter Kingdoms for many centuries now. The Yuletide Accords that were drawn after The Great Winter War have seen to that."

"Frost, let us be candid with one another. There is but one ruler of the winter kingdoms. And it is neither of us."

Frost takes two glasses from the mantelpiece and freezes them with his winter magic. Krampus fills each with vodka.

"So, you're speaking of St. Nicholas," says Frost. "Indeed, he has benefited more than the two of us. But what is to be done about it?"

"I intend to take his kingdom."

Frost chuckles. "His kingdom is more prosperous, his army is stronger. How exactly do you plan to do that?"

"Well, dear Frost, I'm going to kill him. I've sent an assassin with a very special gift for him to enjoy at his feast tomorrow. I've heard the old man is partial to a good red wine."

"As much as his murder will please me, once dead, his eldest born will take his place on the Christmas Throne."

"Indeed," says Krampus. "Do you know who his eldest born is?"

"One of the boys, Tim, I believe. Fifteen. Two years until he comes of age, but one of the King's advisors will guard the throne until it is his time to rule."

"What if I was to tell you that Tim was not the oldest? What if I was to tell you that our friend Nicholas has historically had some trouble keeping it in his oversized pants, and seventeen years ago he had another child; a child born in the mortal world?"

Friedrich stiffens beside me. My pulse quickens.

Frost sips his vodka. "I'd tell you that you have piqued my interest."

Krampus's lips curl into a smile beneath his long beard. "I have her here, Frost. The heir to the Christmas Throne."

I shuffle closer to the crack in the door.

"How?" asks Frost.

"I am allowed to take twelve children from the mortal world each year, the old fool wrote it into the Accords himself. I took her from her mother thirteen years ago. I raised her within the walls of this castle. She is loyal to me. She has no idea who she really is. And she came of age this year."

Frost frowns. "Who?"

"A girl. Insignificant, really," says Krampus. "Her name is Joy."

My pulse thunders beneath my skin as the reason for my favored treatment is revealed. Friedrich's breathing is controlled, but his shoulder hardens.

"But then she will be the ruler of the Christmas Kingdom, not you."

"That is why I will be marrying her to someone who answers to me."

The air is suffocating. I cannot breathe.

"Who?"

"My son, Friedrich."

Friedrich does not move a muscle –it is as if he has turned to ice beside me.

"So what do you need from me?"

"When the move is made, there may be some uprising from his kingdom. I ask for the support of your army, should it come to that."

Frost drums his slender fingers against the mantelpiece, each tap shattering the silence. Then he nods. "Very well. The Kingdom of Frost will support your endeavor."

The clink their glasses, then drain them. The door clicks shut as they exit.

Slowly, Friedrich and I turn our heads. He looks me up and down and his eyes narrow.

"I am not marrying you," he says.

Before I can retort that I share the sentiment, he flings open the cupboard door and storms out of Krampus's office, the tail of his coat flying behind him.