2. Parents' Departure

It was around twenty minutes, until the bus dropped Katy off at her home; 916 Little Star Dr. A snowman had been built, with a scarf wrapping warmly about its neck. Katy bid her best friend and others she knew goodbye, avoiding Duke as much as possible, which wasn't so hard to do. The sky was growing dark, around this time of year, clouds following. Katy saw the bus drive slowly away and disappear into the neighborhood, before going through the front door into her cozy house. "Mom, Dad," she called. "I'm home." She saw what seemed to be her mother, a woman in her late thirties, round the corner of her eyes. "Just in time, Katy," her mom said. "I hope you're still wondering why we're being crazy excited. Kyle, should we tell her?" Her husband came around as well, knowing entirely whatever was happening, this would catch his own daughter by surprise. "You see, Katy," he said. "Because of our jobs, your mother and I haven't been on a vacation together in a while. So, we've made plans to fly to Mexico and won't be back until next week." Katy let her school backpack slide down her arm, and onto the floor, letting herself know this was indeed a Christmas surprise. "Mexico?" She asked, confusion crossing her features. "Is it just the three of us?" Her parents exchanged hesitant, undetermined looks, before her mother said, "Hold on a second, sweetie." She turned, gesturing to Kyle to turn away, not wanting their daughter to hear. "Maybe we shouldn't leave," she whispered. "She won't have us around this Christmas time."
"Holly," Kyle replied in assurance. "I've asked my parents to look after her, which means she'll have them, her cousins, and her friends to guide her. We have to learn to trust." What he really meant was; trust their daughter. Finally, Katy saw her parents return their gaze to her. "Honey," her father said. "It's just your mom and I going. You will be at your grandparents' with your cousins." He slowly approached his daughter, brushing his fingers through her hair. "Can both of us trust you to let your family and friends guide you while we're gone?" Now, Katy understood. She had also learned to trust, and that kind of trust never gave up on her, even since the day she turned twelve years of age. "Yes," she finally managed. Her dad pulled her into a hopeful hug. "That's my little girl," he replied softly. After about five seconds, he released her. "Now, pack whatever you want to take to your grandparents'. But hurry now, our flight takes off soon." His daughter obeyed, heading for the hallway, which lead her to her bedroom.

It had been one hour since the packing, which meant there was still time for Holly and Kyle to drop off their daughter at her grandparents' home. As they were Kyle's own parents, he had told them everything over the phone, so he and his wife would be on their way in a quick pace. Now, Katy sat in the back of her parents' car, her gaze locked with the mountains that were covered in a massive blanket of snow. She was actually ecstatic to see her grandparents again, after Thanksgiving less than a month before. As for her two only cousins, they weren't from here in Reno. Her uncle, her father's only brother, and her aunt would drop off their children here, too, as they were taking a trip to Las Vegas, as they came from Carson City. "So," Katy said. "What is in Mexico?" Her mother turned to look at her, as her father was busy cruising on the highway. "It's very hot over there, and there's the ocean as blue as your eyes. It feels like summer, because of the time zones and timelines." She winked at her daughter. "Did you write to Santa yet, sweetie?" Asked Kyle. The middle schooler shook her head. "Should I decide now? I mean, my friends haven't done it either."
"Make sure to ask them, honey," her mother said. "You'll have a great time while we're gone." They had pulled up by a huge house, that was between a few homes and the mountains that stood a hundred miles behind them; 4900 Mountainshyre Road. "We love you, Katy," Katy heard her father say, as she had her luggage at the ready. "Keep our trust in you. Merry Christmas." Katy gave her parents a determined smile. "Merry Christmas," she replied. "Love you." With that trust, she exited the car ever so excitedly. She saw her father waving and her mother blowing a kiss, before both of them drove away. She watched the car disappear back to where they had come before, wishing them both luck on their destination. It was only a few minutes, until the voice of an elderly man welcomed Katy. "My dear Kathryn." She nearly gasped, whirling to see her grandfather standing on the front porch. "You don't want to stand out there forever at this time of winter." The sixth grader only hoped she wasn't the first grandchild to consume her arrival. Within two minutes, Katy was in, relaxing by the fireplace in the living room. The Christmas tree, tall enough to touch the ceiling, stood close by. The ornaments shone like stars due to the sparks of warm fire. Stockings hung from the ledge, with only but a few presents resting under the tree. The winter boots and coat Katy wore had been removed, and replaced by a warm soft green blanket. The front window was to the right, and as she looked out, all she saw was darkness. The snowy weather was at its lowest, in a way where there was no snow falling, which was always a fun fact of Christmas. The clock hanging on the wall behind her made a chime at the top of the hour, which was six PM. The sky had grown dark, letting Katy note in her mind that her cousins would be here soon. Soon, she hoped. She sensed a presence stepping from behind, knowing full well that it was her grandfather for the second time. "As it's beautiful around this kind of season, you look troubled." Katy wanted to smile, but despite the fact her grandpa was a mind reader, it was also a sign of help and advice. "Grandpa," she mused. "I'm not too old to be in a Christmassy mood. I know I'm not. It's just, those kids don't know anything about it. About me." It was as if she were explaining her feelings, which she was, but her grandfather wasn't the first one to hear about her problems. Silent, he held a cup of hot chocolate in front of her. She took it, taking small sips despite the small marshmallows blocking them. She was now warm enough to hear her grandpa say, "Katy, I suffered the same fate when I was your age." His granddaughter stiffened, before turning to look at him. The young boy this old man once was appeared behind his eyes; it was made a reality. Katy opened her mouth to ask, when the love of an elderly woman's voice softly called, "Dinner's ready." The smell of delicious holiday dinner came to Katy's nostrils, as if her grandmother were giving her the same smell that could cure her. Her depression. Lights from the Christmas decorations were as dim as the moon. "Andrea," Katy heard her grandfather call his wife. "Wouldn't we make sure there's at least one piece of refreshment for the other children?"
"Remember what happened last year, Gary? I don't remember at this point." What Katy saw on the table was like any Christmas dinner. A turkey sat in the middle, with mashed potatoes and vegetables crowding it. She was about to sit down on the left side, when a knock approached the front door. "Katy," her grandmother mused. "Would you mind answering the door, dear?" The girl did as she was told, and behind that door, were the relatives she'd been expecting since her arrival; her two cousins. A boy one year younger than her, and a girl one year older than her. "Merry Christmas, cousins," Katy said, letting them inside. She watched, as her cousins were lovingly greeted by their grandparents. "Now that you're all here," Gary said. "Let's allow your grandmother to serve. Nicky, would you like to say grace?"
"Don't mind if I do," replied Nicky, Katy's male cousin. His sister, Rachel, was to his right, as Katy sat across from them. "Mom and Dad are staying at a hotel in town, before they're on their way," said Rachel. "They said they'd be back Christmas Eve."
"Very well then," her grandfather replied, followed by a chuckle. Katy let him pat her on the head, as he continued, "Now, Katy. You can't sleep here with an empty stomach." The silent twelve year old wasn't hungry, but she knew better than to show it, to hurt feelings all around. So she ate, she unpacked in her bedroom, and after this long cold and snowy day, she went to bed early.