Chapter Eight: Rumor

Y/n stuck his hands in his pockets, side-eyeing the fox beside him. The glass doors of his favorite place to get away from aether greeted Youngeun with the same open arms it did him, and Y/n felt bitter about it.

"Are you going inside?" Y/n asked.

Youngeun chortled, "Yeah? Where else would I go?"

"Do you plan on training?"

"Nah." Youngeun pushed the doors open, exposing the two to the conditioned air inside, "I'll just meditate."

As she said, Youngeun stationed herself in the corner of the building. While she gained the attention of some frequents, the fox remained mostly disconnected from the gym's atmosphere.

In spite of her efforts, one pair of eyes remained glued to her. Between punches and kicks, Y/n stole glances from Youngeun. He fished for any inconvenience toward his peers as well as Youngeun herself—like a clash between his want to maintain the aether free gym, and his want for her to be safe.

"Yo!" Taeyoung slapped Y/n's back, jolting the older student. "Who're you looking at..."

The boy's eyes widened the moment he set his eyes on Youngeun. "Is that-?!"

"Mhm."

Taeyoung surveyed the other students, weeding out those he believed would catch Youngeun's eye, "What's she doing here??"

Y/n shrugged, turning his attention back to the punching bag in front of him. He punched and kicked as he usually would, yet they felt weak and misaligned.

"Is she looking for someone...?"

"She's not interested in romance," Y/n droned.

"That's not what I meant...!" Taeyoung chuckled awkwardly, "I meant like... looking for someone strong."

Y/n struck the black bag, shaking his head, "She's the queen's freshman pawn. You can't find a better opportunity than that."

An uncomfortable tingle radiated throughout Y/n's body. Like knots filled his back and shoulders, he felt pricks and a lack of freedom.

"Then why?"

"Are you here to train? Or to bother me?" Y/n glared.

"Woah!" Taeyoung stepped back with his hands raised, "My bad. I'll go back."

Y/n let off a sigh, glancing toward Youngeun once more.

"Sounds like you're crushing on her," Yujin cooed.

Y/n back-stepped, ducking under the puppy's punch. He blocked a follow-up hook, shaking his head, "I'm not. I feel more annoyed than anything—even though I'm not."

Yujin lowered her hands. She tilted her head, protruding her lips, "What do you mean?"

"I don't know," Y/n sighed. He took a sip of water, "I like her being around, but I don't like why she's around... I guess?"

Yujin frowned. She pulled Y/n into a hug; when he tried to pull out, Yujin tightened her embrace.

"Stay. You need this."

Despite the sweat permeating the air, she smelt pleasantly of vanilla. Y/n took a silent deep breath, closing his eyes while Yujin rubbed the back of his head.

"Do you feel calmer?"

"Eung..."

"Good."

Outside the sparring hall, Y/n basked in the sunlit fields. Beside him, Yujin finished the last of her food. She stacked her tray atop Y/n's before taking it to the trash. While she tossed the disposable plates and stacked the plastic trays in the collection bin, a new sense of happiness flourished inside Y/n. It mirrored what he felt when he first met Youngeun. He felt secure and comforted by Yujin's presence—with the added bonus that she smelt nice as opposed to the fox's lack of aroma.