Chapter Nine: Absent

Y/n rested his chin on his hand, pushing his mouth to the side. "Both Ricky and Jungweon are absent today. Maybe they stayed out too long yesterday."

"They went out?" Youngeun asked.

"Yeah. They hung out at the city square last night"

"And they didn't ask us?" she mumbled.

"Jungweon asked me if I wanted to go and I declined," Y/n shrugged. "I assume he didn't ask you since he thought we were already doing something."

Youngeun frowned, "I would have gone..."

As the bell rang, Jihoon rushed out of the classroom, drawing both Youngeun and Y/n's attention. They followed the boy into the neighboring class. Inside, a majority of the students left, save for two. Ji Hoon kneeled next to Rei's desk with the latter sobbing into her hands. Various bruises darkened her arms, face and legs alike.

"Hey, it's okay," Jihoon breathed. "We're here."

Rei lifted her face from her hands. As her eyes connected with her peers' she broke down, screaming with her sobs.

"What happened?" Jihoon asked.

"She was attacked last night; seven students were hospitalized," Ji Hoon replied.

"Where?" Youngeun questioned.

The two boys turned to Y/n and Youngeun, sighing. Ji Hoon scratched his head, biting his lip as if contemplating heavily.

"You're a royal so I guess it's fine. It was at the city square--the border of our territory."

"That's..." Y/n breathed.

Youngeun whisked her head toward Y/n, "You just had to decline?!"

"Me??" Y/n threw his hands up, "I didn't know! How was I supposed to know that'd happen?!"

"There's no use in bickering," Jihoon scolded. "The enemy is not among us, but outside this room."

"Was this premeditated?" Ji Hoon mumbled.

"What was the guy wearing?" Y/n asked.

Youngeun furrowed her eyebrows, "What's that gonna help-?"

"A uniform with a winged crest," Rei replied.

Joon and Seokjin's uniforms flashed in Y/n's mind. The gaudy brown color of their clothes and sneers pricked at his brain, filling him with a tingling irritation.

"Haneuldo high."

Both boys turned to Y/n.

"You know them?" Jihoon asked.

Y/n nodded, prompting Ji Hoon to stand up. He pulled his phone from his pocket, dialing a number before pressing it against his ear.

"I'm going to need to cancel today. I've got important business."

Both Ji Hoons glanced toward each other. The shorter started for the door while the taller rubbed Rei's back.

"Don't worry. You're safe now, okay? Everyone'll make a quick recovery and be back in no time."

As he walked away, Youngeun grabbed the boy's wrist.

"Take me with you."

"I have enough backup," Ji Hoon dismissed.

"I'm a royal too, you know!" Youngeun argued. "This is on the edge of our turf, so it's my problem too."

"Your quick temper might get us in trouble," the boy reasoned. "Besides, you can't leave right now."