SHATTERED TIES 6.2

They threw him in like a piece of trash and closed the cell with a bang. Fleas lay on the damp, cold slabs of the dungeon for a while. His fists clenched, his voice cracked. His pants were wet. He thought he had overcome the fear and the anger. Since he had started drawing, he had felt happier, freer. But everything had fallen apart. He was nothing but a filthy flea. Without looking up, he curled up into a small ball and clutched his knees. He didn't want to cry.

In the next cell he heard footsteps. Very soft steps of a small creature. He smelled it, it wasn't human. What was it? Fleas didn't want to see or be seen.

"Are you hurt?" A high, slurred voice asked.

"No," he paused, then added, "Not in body."

"I have never seen such a creature. What are you?"

Fleas refused to see. He still fought back the tears that insisted on escaping his eyes.

"A hyaenid."

"Oh, like the one that smashed the wall. I've never seen the humans so afraid. That's why you're here. That's why I'm here as well."

Curiosity finally won out and Fleas looked up. It was a small creature, with long arms and thin legs. With a blue-green complexion and long ears. Yellow eyes and faded irises.

"Are you a gnome?"

That's right, just like them," he pointed to two limp bodies lying in the opposite cells.

"And what does the wall have to do with you?"

"Nothing, really. It's just that... well, slaves started it. It's only natural that they're afraid of slaves now. People are scared like never before. Tell me, were you with the rebels?"

Fleas shook his head.

"I was given up as a slave by my people. I found more understanding among the humans than among my tribe," he hesitated for a moment, remembering Kkelea, perhaps the only one who had shown any sympathy.

"The same humans who threw you out here like a rabid dog? You're funny."

"Yes, I know. Maybe I got lucky and met the right people so far."

Footsteps sounded and the black door that isolated them creaked. Rays of light entered, followed by the guard and a man behind him. The smell was familiar. Was it...?

"Seeing is believing. What is my little pupil doing behind bars?"

"Bekwin!" Fleas clung to the bars, grinning broadly.

The artist smiled at him out of politeness, but it was obvious that being in a dungeon made him uncomfortable. He looked at the guard and ordered him to leave them alone.

"I'm sorry, I can't..."

"Yes, you can. Otherwise, I'll have to talk to my cousin. I don't think the Bloody Terror would like his blood to be ignored."

The guard turned white and retreated hastily. Bekwin crouched in front of him.

"When I heard of a Hyaenid behind bars, I didn't want to believe it was you. Tell me what happened."

"The Empress, she thinks I had something to do with the invasion."

"Oh, yes," he scratched his chin and looked away. "War is a terrible thing, it can drive even the most pious man to madness," he looked at him again. "Don't worry, your master is not just any bastard. He will surely set you free soon."

"Do you know him?"

Bekwin laughed.

"Who wouldn't? Thanks to him, the Empire is united. I understand he didn't recognize me when we met, I was as small as you the only time I saw him."

"Why didn't you introduce yourself?"

"Because I was an artist then. Now I'm a politician. Just like you are a squire, but you are also an artist. We all have many faces. Speaking of art, were you able to draw?"

"Yes, first I saw a naiad, shortly after you gave me the canvas, but couldn't draw her pretty face. Then I saw a cervid. He was a deer man, just as I am a hyena man. And I drew him too. I think it came out better. And I wanted to draw the butterflies we saw in the meadow, but... They wouldn't have looked good with charcoal."

"You show your other side. You can be locked up and still have a free spirit. Like me. I'll come back with clean clothes. Promise you'll be good and answer all their questions so they don't get mad."

"Yes, yes, I promise."

Bekwin left. Fleas noticed that the gnome was staring at him.

"I see that you are not like me. You're not an ordinary slave."

"I am not. And neither are you," he said with a silly grin. "When I get out, I'll have you freed as well."

The gnome laughed softly and shook his head.

"I heard once that hope is a double-edged sword. It took me a while to understand those words. I hope you never have to."