Chapter 1. Change

Just as another formal warning, this book takes place after INSOMNIA, please do not read any further if you have not read Insomnia in its entirety!

-

Mentions of alcoholism/sobriety are highlighted throughout the chapter as well as sexual content and hints of mental health topics such as anxiety and depression. Please do not read any further if these topics are sensitive to you.

 Please do not read any further if these topics are sensitive to you

⸻✧ ༺ ∞ ༻ ✧⸻

The summer passed in a fog. The sun crawls up and down in the sky, dawning on a new day that rests upon the shoulders of two hopeless fools in love. Each passing hour was filled with laughter and kisses, every night passing with naked skin pressed up against each other. The same apartment, a new routine and new perfect relationship, all dosed by the light of the sun and drowned in honey. It's annoyingly sweet, but something about it was so intoxicating.

Wooyoung and San had been together for four months now, abandoning the rules of their friendship the moment Wooyoung had kissed San twice. But it led to something beautiful, blissful; something they both secretly begged and longed for.

It was Sunday. It was partially cloudy, the normal blue sky clinging to its cloud cover to break away from warm temperatures. Though it's cooled off in recent weeks, the overhanging clouds were always welcomed.

The smell of greasy fast food hangs in the apartment like the looming nimbus clouds, flooding Wooyoung's senses as he rests on the couch, laying on his back with his head tilted towards the television. He was bored, finally staying at home on his day off from his new job while he waited for San to come home from running errands.

He was constantly flipping through channels, not finding anything even remotely interesting, but the longer he surfed through shows, the harder it was to find something worth watching. He checks the time every few minutes, growing impatient and wishing he could just fall asleep.

He was still struggling with insomnia, but not to the extreme that he used to in the summer. San was always trying to help, trying to make everything easier by kissing him to sleep and feeling him, but Wooyoung struggled nonetheless.

At this point, Wooyoung wasn't reliant on alcohol, straying away from the urges to drink for nearly two months. It was a hard adjustment, something he didn't realize would be so difficult, but with San staying sober with him, it became easier the more time had passed.

With a new job and new routine, Wooyoung found himself at peace. He was working at a library, doing his best to organize books and sell titles of unheard smaller authors, living out his bookworm dreams at a large city library. It paid well enough, a few dollars more than his shitty job from the summer, and it kept his humble life in check. He wasn't drinking, wasn't partying, making sure to love San more everyday and finding himself in a better place mentally. He's no longer confused, no longer missing something; everything was noted as perfect.