Chapter 1- Dark Roast

Coco looped her arm through Tiny's as they walked down the street. Fall semester had just begun and the two girls desperately needed to find a new coffee shop if they were going to survive. They had just moved into the neighborhood and had no idea what was good and what wasn't. "I read the reviews online, it has five stars." Coco hums, crossing the street with Tiny.

Once the cafe was in sight, bold letters reading Dark Roast greeted them. Tiny tilted her head at the little flower shop directly beside the coffee shop. "Cute," She muttered, opening the cafe's door for Coco. "We should get flowers for the apartment."

"Ooo, that would be great." Coco agreed, looking around the room.

It smelled amazing inside and was very homey. Soft jazz music played over the speakers as a kind old man greeted them. "Good morning, young ladies. I am about to get off the clock but if you wait just one moment, my coworker will be right with you." He smiled.

"Not a problem, thank you!" Tiny called out, taking a seat at a nearby table.

She was in a good mood this morning but she could feel a migrane coming on soon. Coco patted the elder girl's head, knowing what was going on. "I'll go get you something to drink, yeah?"

Tiny nodded, rubbing her temples, cuddling farther down into the big hoodie she was wearing. Coco made her way toward the counter, repeating their order in her head. "Hello," A voice called out, making her look away from the menu. "Welcome to Dark Roast. First time?" A bunny smile was sent her way.

Oh. My. Gosh.

"O-Oh, yes, sorry." Coco smiled, glancing back at her best friend to see if she was witnessing this masterpiece of a man, almost deflating when she saw the older turned away.

"Why are you apologizing?" He laughs softly, finding it cute. "There are a lot of options so I can understand your struggle."

Coco nodded, grateful he didn't find her odd. "My friend and I just moved into the neighborhood so we're still adjusting – You didn't need to know that information. I'm sorry." She shakes her head, quickly telling him their order.

The boy only smiles, glancing at what he assumed must be the red heads friend. "Coming right up," He hummed after she used her card to pay. "And you two will love it here. There is so much to do."

Coco nodded and looked at Tiny once more, mouthing to get her attention. When she got it, Tiny was confused. "What?" She squinted at Coco, trying to understand.

And then she saw him.

"Oh, I get it." She covered her mouth, checking the barista out in awe. He had to be fake, there was no way that he really existed.

After squeaking out a thank you and grabbing their drinks, Coco quickly made her way to the table. "Did you see? You saw him, please say yes. Confirm he's real."

"Yes, I did indeed see him. What's his name?" Tiny inquires, sipping her drink. It's really good.

"Crap, I didn't ask. I was too busy trying not to ramble." Coco snaps her fingers in defeat, planning to ask him the next time they come.

Tiny and Coco had worked in a coffee shop in their hometown before they moved away for college so they really wanted to find a good one. And Tiny still needed to set up a job if they planned to keep their apartment. Coco had managed to get a job at a bookshop a few minutes away from their place but Tiny still wished to work with coffee.

"I'm going to ask him if they're hiring." Tiny takes another gulp of her coffee before walking up to the counter.

The boy looks up, doe eyed. "Hi," He says, slyly checking her out. "Can I help you?"