Safety Hazard

I couldn't find Uni anywhere when i got back home. I even went back to Mom's to check if she was there. It smelt horrible so I used up all the spray in Mom's bottle to mask the scent. Then air freshener. Then her ex's vintage 70s Givenchy Gentleman cologne. And some essential oils which I poured on her bed.

I couldn't think of where else Uni might have gone. I didn't know where her friend Dossy lived either so eventually I gave up, deciding to go get the parts I needed for the computer.

But when I got there, the homeless woman and her kid weren't there.

I asked Inside the shop. They said she was off work today. 

'Do you know her phone number? Or where she stays? It's urgent."

They wouldn't give me her phone number but they said she sometimes hung around K.B. Toys.

I saw her immediately. She wore the same coat and had the same kid. But instead of computer parts she sold kids toys. Five snacktime cabbage patch kids, an easy-bake oven and bath animals. 

"You know you shouldn't sell those." I pointed to the ovens.

She glared at me.

"Stop ruining my business!" She hissed.

"I'm just saying."

"I know I shouldn't, but i have to. If it was up to me I wouldn't sell it. How do you think my kid got this?" She lifted up the kids arm. The fingers were etched with burn marks. One of them was missing.

I winced, looking away. 

"It's the heating coils. They trap all the kids."

"Oh... I actually came to buy a cable for my computer." I said, looking around. 

She gave me a look like I was stupid.

"Do you see cables for computer here? No. I only sell them two times a week. The rest is toys." 

Right... so I'll go then. Unless..." I paused, wondering whether to continue or not.

'Unless what?"

"Well... when's your break?" 

"I don't have one. I do this until seven and then I pack up."

"It's only one. Lunch time. You need to have lunch."

"Do you think I have MONEY for fucking lunch?"

Her aggression shocked me, her swearing stumped me. I'd never heard anyone use the f word before. The only swear words people came close to was damn and that was whispered.

I took a deep breath, deciding to pretend I wasn't surprised. 

"I'll pay. You can take your kid too. What's It's name?" I wasn't sure whether it was a girl or a boy due to all the mud covering it from head to toe and the longish matted hair.

"Winry"