Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I do not own the Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst series. This is an AU of that universe. This was inspired by The Basement Chronicles by SilveRanger on AO3. I highly recommend you read that as well, even though it is not related to this story.

-------

Maddie skipped along the sidewalk, making her way towards her street. It was a bright and sunny day, the sun shining warmly from its place in the sky. On a day like this, she couldn't possibly fathom that something bad would happen.

A missing person had been reported a week and a half ago, and the whole neighborhood was up in arms about it. Judging from the news that spilled from the TV (or the "telly" as people here called it), she figured out that the regular police department wasn't the one investigating the matter. Instead, this other unit called Mystery Case Files or something was heading it, explaining that this disappearance was similar to others that occurred decades prior. She didn't really understand what it all meant, but her mother had ordered her never to linger outside more than necessary. That meant no more excursions with Sadie or trips to the pond. It was straight back home after school, all the time, locking all the doors and windows until the danger died down. She was despondent about this, but she acknowledged her mother's genuine concern.

However, she was lost in her own world as she finally turned onto her street, approaching the apartment her and her mother shared (she wasn't entirely sure why everyone else called it a flat). She was completely oblivious to anything going on around her, so something could easily sneak up on her if it wanted to. She leaped up the steps to her front door, digging into her backpack for her keys. Once she was inside, she locked everything, including the deadlock chain on the inside of the door, like her mother told her to. She made her way to the kitchen, darting for any wafers or other snacks she could get her hands on.

The rumble of a car engine pulling up and stopping outside her home sent a tiny jolt of terror through her heart, but she quickly squashed it down. Her mother's hysteria was getting to her. It was most likely the mail anyway. She returned to opening cabinets, continuing her search. The ringing of the doorbell soon proved her otherwise.

She wasn't tall enough to see through the peephole, and her mother told her not to open the door for any strangers. Since she couldn't pre-emptively find out who was standing outside her door, she unlocked it, but kept the deadlock engaged, opening it just a crack. She peered cautiously through the small opening, hoping it was Sadie, preferably without her inner circle.

To her confusion and slight disappointment, it wasn't Sadie. Rather, it was a tall, lanky, sharply dressed man, complete with a top hat. The only thing missing was the cane, and she half-expected him to pull one out and start tap dancing right on her porch. He looked friendly enough, his chiseled features worn with age. It was obvious that he was bald underneath that hat.

The man smiled in greeting, tipping his hat to her. "Good afternoon, Madeleine," he said. "I hope I'm not troubling you at all." The use of her name caught the girl off-guard. A feeling of wariness settled in her, causing her to tense up. The man caught this, his expression softening. "You don't remember me, do you?"

Maddie slowly shook her head, silently wracking her brain to recall where exactly she had seen this man. He seemed familiar, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. Her unexpected visitor chimed in again. "We met three weeks ago at the park. I caught your name from your mother when you left." The girl's brow furrowed until she suddenly remembered. "Oh, it's you!" she exclaimed. "The man who likes puzzles."

The man chuckled heartily at that. "Indeed," he replied. He cleared his throat, straightening his collar. "I'm surprised you didn't expect this. I assumed your mother told you. I contacted her the day after we met, to get acquainted. She told me about her financial situation, and how she wasn't able to afford a babysitter. She believes you are still too young to be home alone by yourself. And she's grown increasingly more worried with all that's happened recently." He beamed. "I gladly offered my services, free of charge, and she accepted. I adore children, and I remember how well we got off the last time."