PROLOGUE Mr. Linden's Library 2:30 PM

It was a summer Thursday afternoon and Darcy Dallas was at Mr. Linden's Library, skimming the shelves for a new book to read. She came across several that looked good, but something caught her eye— a large book on the very top shelf. The shimmering gold spine was pulling her, begging her to take it home.

Darcy took the book off the shelf. It was called The Land Of The Lost.

This looks interesting, she thought.

She brought the book to the front desk where Mr. Linden was sitting. It was topped with a tiny cactus right by his computer.

"Hello, Darcy. What would you like to check out today?" Mr. Linden asked.

"I found this book. It's called 'Land of the Lost'. This is the book I'm getting today," replied Darcy.

A worried look fell over Mr. Linden's face. He went pale and he seemed to be thinking very hard to himself.

Finally, Mr. Linden came to, and said, "Darcy, listen to me. Do not get that book. I don't know how you found it, but you can't get it. It's too dangerous."

"Mr. Linden," started Darcy. "What do you mean? This is a perfectly normal book and I am going to check it out. Ring it up, please."

Mr. Linden rang up the book and scanned Darcy's library card. As he handed the book to Darcy he said, "I'm warning you, Darcy. That book is dangerous. Are you sure you want it?"

In hopes of calming him down, Darcy gave Mr. Linden a reassuring look and replied, "I'm sure."

With that, Darcy, book in hand, marched out the door.