twenty one

real life

lacy was hanging out with joe at his flat, the two of them sharing a bottle of wine and making brownies. a bunch of their friends would be coming over later that night for lacy's nineteenth birthday.

"would you be mad if i added something silly to them?" he asks, and she looks over at him confused for a moment, and then groans.

"i was not thinking about making weed brownies, joe! these are going to be consumed by other people," she says, giving him a dirty look.

"those other people include literally all of our friends who would not object."

"whatever, just... we'll make some normal ones too, just in case," lacy murmurs.

"by the way, did you and olivia ever talk about the song?" joe asks lacy.

"oh, uh, yeah actually," she admits. she hasn't really told anyone, not even her closest friends, about their texts admitting their feelings. "yeah. she brought it up and basically told me it was her way of telling me that she likes me."

"oh shit, so are you guys together then?"

"i think so? i mean, we haven't gotten to see each other since. tonight will be the first time," lacy explains. "she didn't say anything about keeping it private, but i think that might be best for now. obviously with you guys tonight i think it's fine, but like, i think it's best to keep things under wraps for now."

"well i'm glad you guys talked it out. i think you're both really cute together."

"shut up."

the moment lacy opens the door, olivia practically jumps on her with the force of her hug. "oh my god, i missed you so much. happy birthday beautiful girl," she hears the girl say, muffled by the hug. lacy finds herself grinning, holding onto olivia with a tight grip. finally letting go, lacy isn't sure what to do now. they had admitted their feelings to one another, but this was the first time they were face to face after the fact. "is there food? i'm starving," olivia states, and lacy nods, guiding the girl to the kitchen with their fingers interlaced.

"there's a lot of baked stuff, to be honest. joe and i got carried away. i will say that there are some special brownies we made, in addition to the normal ones, if you want any. our other friends got a little carried away and had one too many, so i advise you to be careful," lacy explains, and olivia giggles.

"i'm okay for now. i'll just have a normal one." after olivia retrieved her brownie, she continued. "come with me to the bathroom for a second?"

"yeah, sure," lacy replies, a little intrigued, but guides olivia to the bathroom with her. once the door is shut, the girl is looking at lacy with adoration in her eyes.

"you're so fucking gorgeous," olivia says, her fingers running across lacy's arm.

"are you sure you're sober?" lacy giggles.

"oh, i never said i was sober. i pregamed before getting here straight at the airport."

"you're crazy," the girl laughs, and then there's a moment of tension between the two before their lips inch closer to each other and eventually touch. lacy finds herself smiling into the kiss, bringing one of her hands up to cup olivia's jaw.

"i'm so happy right now," olivia says, pulling away for a moment. "you make me so happy."

"shut up," lacy teases, leaning back in so that their lips met once again. after their kisses slowly turned into a small make out session, there was a sudden banging on the door. "goddamn it," lacy groans. "who is it?"

"i have to piss," she hears her brother shout.

"fucking cunt," she mutters, opening the door. "you couldn't use the other bathroom?"

"no, now get the fuck out so i can use the toilet." lacy just sighs and grabs olivia's hand, shutting the door behind them.

"are you sure he's ever nice to you?" olivia asks, and lacy laughs quietly.

"he is. i promise," lacy replies. "come on. let's go socialize for a bit!"

some of lacy's party guests had formed a circle at one point, and a game of truth or dare was going around. lacy was sat between olivia's legs as she was leaning against the couch, not actively participating at the two were preoccupied with giggling to each other.

"your brother is going to get alcohol poisoning," olivia says, watching lacy's brother down yet another shot with joe after refusing to answer a truth question.

"he'll be fine. he's gotten sick like that once, and i was there with him. it'll never happen again," lacy replies. "he's just super drunk."

"okay, good. but i feel like we should be getting drunk right now or something, all these other people are!"

"i don't need to be drunk when i'm with you," lacy says softly, looking up at the girl before their lips brush together briefly.

"that was a little cringe," olivia snorts, and lacy rolls her eyes. "come on. i need to give you your birthday gift!" she grabs lacy's hand and pulls her over to the kitchen where it was less noisy. olivia grabbed one of the bags from the table where many gifts were, and handed it to her.

"you didn't have to get me anything," lacy says, opening it up. "oh my god, this is adorable!" she finds a heart shaped locket with a photo of the two of them and song lyrics.

"i just wanted to keep that photo forever, you know? it's from the first time we hung out," olivia replies, smiling. "i have a matching one. i'm not wearing it right now since the gift is a surprise but yeah."

"you're the sweetest," says lacy, pulling the girl in for a kiss. "thank you, love. this is such a wonderful gift."