CHAPTER 1 : Welcome to Hinamizawa !

POV : KYOTAKA

With my hands still in my pants pockets, my face remained impassive as I strolled leisurely through the paths of Hinamizawa. The chirping of cicadas was a constant soundtrack, strangely soothing. I couldn't deny that it had a certain charm... However, the heat was quite stifling, and my tolerance for it was not very high. Where I come from, air conditioning was ubiquitous, so I had become quite sensitive to heat... What irony to find myself here in June. However, I supposed that "trade-offs" were inevitable in exchange for this newfound freedom... And if that was the only one, I could certainly live with it.

 And if that was the only one, I could certainly live with it

That being said, I didn't let my guard down either. There was still this puzzle to solve, and this "Rubiscarl" hadn't given me much detail about what she meant by that. I didn't imagine it would be just a simple riddle, so I had to stay cautious... There might be a lurking danger somewhere.

Anyway, I had just left my house, my phone in my pocket, and it was now 12:20 PM after finishing a small meal I had prepared... I didn't know where the school was, so I decided to leave early, hoping to encounter someone in the village who could give me directions. It shouldn't be too difficult to find, after all.

...

After wandering leisurely through the paths of Hinamizawa for a while, still accompanied by the incessant cicada song and stifled by the prevailing heat, I finally had the opportunity to meet a villager. She seemed to be of a certain age and was engaged in some kind of preparation, kneeling in front of something on the ground.

After noticing her, I finally decided to approach her. After some thought about the appropriate way to start a conversation, I opted for a classic approach. I slightly raised my voice towards the woman, making sure she could hear that I was addressing her.

Kyotaka: Good day, ma'am. Could you help me for a moment?

I spoke these words with my usual impassive tone... and it seemed I had caught the lady off guard, as I observed a slight startle from her. Well, given that there weren't many people around us, I suppose it was predictable.

Eventually, she stood up and turned to face me... After seeing me, she gave a warm smile and, after a moment, replied in a soft voice, with a slight accent it seemed.

Elderly Woman: Well, hello there, young man! Oh my, you caught me off guard; I didn't see you coming! We don't get many visitors around here, you know, here in Hinamizawa. She let out a little chuckle; it's quite a surprise! So, my boy, what brings you to our neck of the woods? Do you need a hand with something?

This lady spoke in a somewhat unusual manner, one I hadn't heard before... Was this the common language in this region? Well, she seemed friendly enough, and I detected no false pretenses, so I guessed it was her genuine nature. If everyone in this village was like this, it would be rather pleasant... Perhaps even my future classmates, who knows.